PDA

View Full Version : New Charisma Towels

imported_agentf1
05-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Well, after alot of reading here I decided on Fieldcrest Charisma and Charisma Select towels as the best to get to take wax (Meguiar`s Gold Class Liquid currently) off our car.

My question to all you towel users is if you had to choose between drying the towels in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet (!!!) or line drying them, which would you do?

I know dryer sheets are a no-no but I am afraid if I line dry them they will be too "crunchy" to use on the paint. Anybody here line dry them? Have they been okay on the paint???? Thoughts???

Thanks!!

ps I know drying them in the dryer w/o sheets is BEST but I have to pay to do laundry here and am just trying to either dry the towels w/other stuff or line dry them if possible

imported_Dude
05-11-2002, 12:25 AM
I think line drying is the way to go.

BTW, excellent choice of towels.

Sirslap2
05-11-2002, 08:42 AM
I wouldn`t line dry the towels.

The dry should get the nap up better.

The thing I would be worried about the most is that - if you live in a windy/dusty city like I do - you may possibly collect airborne dust in the towels.

For removing wax, the preference here is for MF towels I believe and for drying the choice is the Fieldcrest towels.

imported_Intermezzo
05-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Debbie

ps I know drying them in the dryer w/o sheets is BEST but I have to pay to do laundry here and am just trying to either dry the towels w/other stuff or line dry them if possible

I`ve tried buffing with a towel dried with fab softener before and it really made a mess on my black car.

The best way to dry Charismas in your situation is to go ahead and put them in the dryer with your other clothes for about 20 minutes WITHOUT any fabric softener sheets. When your 20 minutes are up, remove all your auto-detailing towels, toss in the fabric softener and continue drying your clothes. At this point, your Charismas should still be damp, but plenty fluffed up enough that hang-drying them would not make them dry `crunchy`. I would highly recommend hang-drying them indoors too. Depending on how many auto-detailing towels you`ll be drying, I suppose you can `overload` the dryer a bit since you`ll be removing the towels mid-way through the drying cycle.

BTW, you aren`t washing your Charismas in the same load as your regular clothes, are you?

imported_agentf1
05-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies...

Dude, I really really like the Charisma Select washcloth size which is 16x16 so it is the same size as those junky towels I bought at the auto parts store before I knew better !!! And this is soooo soft.

Deemo, we won`t be drying them outside, will be inside so dirt etc would not be a problem, just lots of towels hanging around! We just got some MF from neatitems yesterday (great towels) so I might try both the Charismas and the Neatitems and see which I like best, we need the Charismas either way though even if we don`t use them for wax removal.

Intermezzo, Okay, NO to the fab sheet. That is a most excellent tip you gave about drying 1/2 way w/o sheet and then putting sheet in for rest of towels. Thanks! uuuuhhhh yes, I was going to wash the charismas w/our other towels.. ? Is this considered bad? I figured w/hot water and detergent no wax would get onto our regular towels... am I mistaken??? Don`t wanna get too shiny after our showers. :) We haven`t actually done this yet, just figured it would be okay????

imported_Intermezzo
05-11-2002, 10:09 PM

Intermezzo, Okay, NO to the fab sheet. That is a most excellent tip you gave about drying 1/2 way w/o sheet and then putting sheet in for rest of towels.

Thanks!!

yes, I was going to wash the charismas w/our other towels.. ? Is this considered bad? I figured w/hot water and detergent no wax would get onto our regular towels... am I mistaken??? Don`t wanna get too shiny after our showers. :) We haven`t actually done this yet, just figured it would be okay????

You might get a small amount of wax on whatever is being washed with your wax-buffing towels. That is why people here recommend washing your glass cleaning towels separate from your wax-buffing towels. The trace amounts of wax that get on your glass cleaning towels might make it harder to get a streak-free shine on your windows. But then again, I do not follow that recommendation. I toss ALL my detailing towels in the washer together and I haven`t had any window streaking problems. I was mainly asking because the wax products we use for our cars are definitely not good for us...health-wise. I would not want any wax at all on towels I use on myself or my wife (nor clothes for that matter)so I never mix detailing towels with any regular towels or clothes.

Don`t wanna get too shiny after our showers.

Haha, trying hard not to picture that!! (yeah right!)

imported_agentf1
05-13-2002, 02:18 AM
Just wanted to followup on the towel saga in case anyone was interested.. (okay, so no-one was) :)

Anyways, the towels were great dried 20 min and then taken out to finish air drying. I really really liked them taking the wax off today, much nicer than the flimsy little towels from the auto parts store.

I can see why you would want to wash them all separate now though, after cleaning everything today, wheel wells, etc... stuff gets kinda yucky!! I really wish we did not have to "use" the car for stuff like DRIVING and could just put it on display to admire so nothing would happen to it and it would not get dirty!!

DETAILKING
05-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Dry them on low setting, with no fabric softener. Also, take them out when damp and line dry the rest of the way so they don`t hold a static charge and transfer it to your car.

Also, make sure you cut the borders and selveges off the towels as they can scratch the clearcoat........

Good luck!

m3pilot
05-13-2002, 09:17 PM
Can I ask where you got these Charisma select towels? I have only seen the regular Charisma towels? Are the select towels any different from the regular charisma towels?

imported_agentf1
05-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Also, make sure you cut the borders and selveges off the towels as they can scratch the clearcoat........

DetailKing, I tried that with a large towel I bought but after I sewed the edges over twice all around to prevent fraying I had had it! Took too long. Is there a better way to do this? (Have no sewing machine)

Can I ask where you got these Charisma select towels?

jpws6.. I bought some of them at Macy`s, but you can also buy them online for a MUCH better price at www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com

And YES the select towels are different than the regular Charismas... they are MUCH softer. They aren`t really thicker, actually maybe less thick, but much much softer, which I thought would be better.

Okay so after I bought a bunch of them online in the 16x16 size so I would not have to worry about cutting/sewing them to the right size I am coming to the realization that I am still going to have to cut the edges off to prevent scratching.:( My shipment from fieldcrest outlet should be arriving Wednesday. :(

imported_agentf1
05-13-2002, 10:13 PM
Okay sorry I don`t have the quote thingy down yet ... I will figure it out!! The hyperlink worked tho :)

DETAILKING
05-14-2002, 08:08 AM
I just let mine fray......no biggie.

If you want clean cut ones, high quality charisma`s, serged and cotton stitched edges, shoot kevinSS an email from ls1.com. He sells them.