PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Z Applicator

samiam513
05-10-2002, 05:01 PM
I recieved my zaino today. applied a coat. went, and put the appl;icator in the washing machine. When i took it out all I had was a terry cloth rag, and a sponge.

The way to make a applicator

Go to WalMart, get bag of terry towels, and couple of large sponges

Cut the large sponges so you can cover 1 piece of sponge with 1 terry towel, ,leaving extrras all around the seams.

Sew (get the wife, mom, or girlfriend to) the sides of the terry towle together

Voila... you have 1 z applicator.

MikeLS
05-10-2002, 10:46 PM
I would definitely advise AGAINST buying any terry cloths from WalMart or any auto parts or discount store that will be used on a car finish. Look closely and you`ll find those types of terry cloths are usually made in Pakistan or other foreign location, and are NOT 100% true cotton. The result is a scratched and swirled surface from poor quality toweling.

You`ve got the right idea, however if you`re going to make your own apps, buy some Fieldcrest towels, i.e. Royal Velvet or Charisma, and sew them over a piece of sponge. You definitely want to use high quality, USA made, 100% cotton for anything that is going to rub against your paint. Otherwise, you`re asking for trouble...

:wavey

imported_Bimmer
05-11-2002, 11:27 PM
I make use of the small pieces that I cut off my Fieldcrest towels for applying the Z. These are the perfect size and I don`t care how long they last. I wash them with the towels. So far, there has been no loss in my small pieces or my towels. However, the Z applicator is long gone. Two times through the washer and it was done.

I have now invested in a delicate bag. I put my towels and stuff in the delicate bag and than in the wash.

samiam513
05-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer

I have now invested in a delicate bag. I put my towels and stuff in the delicate bag and than in the wash.

Where did you get a delicate bag?

screwforsurf
05-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Instead of going through all that trouble, why not just use foam applicators? Wal Mart has Meguiars, they`re cheap and I`ve found Z to be easier to apply w/foam than cotton/terry.

JMO