PDA

View Full Version : dang cali duster!

THERUSE
05-10-2002, 03:33 PM
first i have to thank everybody for great posts, that made my effort so rewarding.

i have really outdone myself last weekend on my car, i used pc with waffle pads for meguiars #2, and 3m smr. than i applied z5, and z2. parked next to my friends 2002(or 1) red car, i have noticed how amazing mine looks: absolutely no swirls, or anything. (my car`s a 94 metalic dark green).

so then i bought a cali duster and happily used it for about 3 days to get the pollen/dust off my car, it worked great. than it rained, and i decided to see if the duster would take care of the spots ( I was NOT pushing hard, just gliding over the surface), and today on a sunny day WHAN scratches on the hood! :doh , i hope some z5 will take care of it, i have learned my lesson.

again it`s an honor to be a part of this super knowledgable board :xyxthumbs

wizardofahs
05-10-2002, 03:55 PM
i forget who it was but someone made a very good point with the cali duster... you really have to know the difference between dust and dirt... if it`s dust than the duster works... if you have dirt on your car you have to go for the full wash.

BradE
05-10-2002, 03:57 PM
I think Jngrbrdman said he burned his. hehehe.

imported_doug
05-10-2002, 04:08 PM
I use mine ONLY when I know the dust is both fresh and dry. if it has been on the car more than a few days it will already have absorbed enough moisture out of the air for the duster to be inneffective - maybe even less time than that in more humid climates.

Also - if you remove swirls with FI-II and work it hard enough it starts to get REALLY dusty - i use the duster to brush that stuff off before I buff off the residue as well.

Jngrbrdman
05-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

I think Jngrbrdman said he burned his. hehehe.

...like a torch, man. Like a torch. That`s all I have to say about that.

rd_volvo
05-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi Tom,

Is there a chance what see are parafin wax streaks?

Do you still see the same scratches after a wash.

New CD`s have a lot of wax. On hot days it looks like the new

CD is scratching the finish but it`s not.

If you want to try something use your CD in the house

to break it in for a few weeks. The darker the better.

Rest it on newspaper when not in use to soak up wax.

As far as rainspots I would only use the CD for dust or pollen

a maximum of two days after a full wash. If you do any off roading

or get the car wet then re-wash.

I almost burned mine till I found this out.

Hope this helps

medic
05-10-2002, 06:12 PM
it`s even worse if you drop the duster. friend used one on his caddy when the tip touched the groud for a sec. in the next pass, we could see scratches clear across the hood. he was having it repainted a few weeks later anyway, so no big deal, but I returned mine on my way home.

The Cali water blade though works great.

YoSteve
05-10-2002, 06:15 PM
chances are the marring is in the finish rather than the clear, so that after you add more sealant it will be better

MikeLS
05-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Were you using the plastic handled version or the genuine wooden handle CCD? The plastic ones are the cheaper version that is sold locally, but the mop head is much cheaper, smaller, and the strands are thinner than the wooden, thus likely to cause scratches. The wooden version is the real deal for enthusiasts...

I use and love the CCD and CWB!

:xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
05-11-2002, 07:46 AM
Do not blame the tool for the user`s error. The Cali duster like its name states is a duster. It is not a replacement for a wash. Dries rain is dirt not dust!!:scared If you drop your duster on the floor only common sense will tell you to make sure no foreign matter was picked-up in the fabric. Again user error. I have used a Cali duster for years properly and only finish problems I have encountered was when it was new and the paraffin on the fibers caused some smearing.

THERUSE
05-11-2002, 11:00 AM
thanks everybody

i am definetly not blaming the tool USER ERROR.

i am pretty confident the scratches are not parafin residue (i`m afraid to tuch the paint, it rained, and i wont wash because it will rian all next week:down )

yes i have the plastic handled one $12.something at K-mart (haven`t seen wooden locally)

i have to give it credit with pollen which made my car look so good compared to others with that green tint (until it rained)

looking at it now, i think z5 or 2 will take care of it.

i`ll let you know,

hook
05-11-2002, 06:42 PM
FWIW: Some of you may remember I started an experiment last summer with my CA Duster.

Background: mine is the real CA Duster, but the plastic handled one. The store had both, and the only difference I could tell when examining them was the weight of the handle. Head size and strands were identical (there were cheap imitations that had plastic handles, though).

What I did: I use the duster only as directed, and never on a dirty car or rain/dew/mist/fog dampened dust.

I always wash/dry/buff the car in the same direction. I decided to see if the duster was introducing marring or scratches, so I decided that for the next 6 months I`d wipe it perpendicularly to the way I do everything else. So, if the scratches go parallel to the ground on the sides, or across the hood, it`s the duster. If the other way, I used a bad towel/mitt/etc.

Results: No scratches or marring of the protectant layer from the duster.

The paint & protectant: A Lexus LS400, Starfire Blue (very dark). with AIO and about 5 layers of Sealant Glaze. I think sometime in the fall I put a layer of Pinnacle Souvereign on it as well, but I`m sure it`s gone by now.

Remember, your actual mileage may vary.

A.

THERUSE
05-23-2002, 09:01 PM
ok, i put some more z5 on the car, and the scratches went away

they were only in the z layer :D ,

back to using my duster, this thing is great :up

vettefan67
05-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

...like a torch, man. Like a torch. That`s all I have to say about that.

. . . pics? :D