PDA

View Full Version : how do I clean molding

medic
05-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Every time I`ve washed my car, I get it nice, shiney, and clean but there are two stips of plastic side molding that I can`t get clean.

I`ve tried things like goo-gone, simple green, polish, elbow grease, etc and nothing will work to make them as shine as the rest of the car. I always looks like that area hasn`t been washed.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what will work. I was thinking of alcohol, but this seems to be dirt that`s stained the plastic not surface grime.

I don`t have a dig camera, so no pic to post, but I`ve outline the area that`s affected in the pic below.

Preachers Sheets
05-10-2002, 03:27 PM
To tell you the truth I have the same strip going around my Camaro.

If needed, I go over the strip with 3M SMR then layer the Klasse Glaze ontop of that.

If the stains won`t come out and if the strip is painted and clearcoated like the rest of the car I would treat it like a clearcoated surface, break out the Meguiars V2.0 and if that works but not fast enough bust out the 3M SMR.

medic
05-10-2002, 03:32 PM
I think it`s painted and clearcoated the same. the color matched at one point if I can remember that far back

cool, I`ll try that. I`m still waiting for my Klasse kit to come in from tascar (awsome place and prices) and then I plan on claying it too.

medic
07-12-2002, 03:49 PM
I`ve attached a pic of the affected area on my car. As you can see, it`s pretty discolored. I tried some SMR by hand that a friend had, but there was no effect.

Any other thoughts?

imported_Intel486
07-12-2002, 04:20 PM
looks like the bottom side of it is still white though...

maybe you should think about having them pulled off and repainted.

shaf
07-12-2002, 05:21 PM
That`s a 3rd Gen Nissan Maxima isn`t it? :rolleyes:

I bought a spraybomb (custom mixed because no one sells it), masked off my car for 3 feet around, and sprayed them. I didn`t bother entombing the entire car because this was before claying an all the steps in my sig. I sanded them a bit first so the paint would bite and cleaned with alcohol. Sprayed colour coats (2) and then layered on 3(?) clear coats, taking about 3/4 days for this. Last, I wet sanded it and polished it out.

I`m pretty happy except I wish the colour matched a bit better, and I wish I`d been more patient with the paint and not sprayed too heavily in 2 places where I have runs.

Much cheaper than what I was quoted at a body shop, and even (shudder) Maaco. All in all, less than $30 Cdn for supplies.

Some folks on Maxima.org are fond of removing these moldings all togther and cleaning the glue off, but I don`t like the indentation in the doors where they sat in.

EDIT: I didn`t even see post 1 and knew it was a Maxima! LOL, very common problem with lighter coloured Maxes. :p