PDA

View Full Version : How to remove overspray?

astat1
05-10-2002, 01:39 AM
I had the front bumper on my car painted recently and when I got it back noticed that there was overspray of clear coat on some sections of my car. These parts don`t feel smooth to the touch as the other zaino`d sections.

I did a search on the forums and read that clay is a good way to remove the overspray. I tried this but the overspray persists.

Should I do the claying again or is there another better method?

I also read mineral spirits may work. Has anyone tried this? I am a little concerned about damaging my paint.

Thanks for the feed back.

Andre'
05-10-2002, 02:04 AM
Return the car to the paint shop and have them fix the problem.

Kleanride
05-10-2002, 07:02 AM
Hi

Ya know what..if you already have a thing of clay in the garage, you might just want to take that route instead of bringing it back to the shop. I have had to deal with things like this before that involve bringing the car back to the body shop, and usually I am out of a car for a day or two, just to do a five minute job.

Good luck!

Dale

fordracefan
05-10-2002, 09:38 AM
I have a similar problem... :sosad a while back (maybe a year or so) the county decided to paint a huge water tower that is about 250 yards up a hill behind my house. Needless to say, over spray fell on my BLACK accord. I clayed the car as soon as I realized, but I wasn`t able to get it all off. I have clayed... and clayed... and clayed. No luck.... recently I decided to SMR to remove minor swirls and the finish is smooth as glass and swirl free! But the over spray is still there. I do think that it may have gotten less worse, but still there. I don`t think there is much I can do.

Being as sick as I am (I`m probably not alone among you all...), I have contemplated getting rid of the car :shocked because of this and the micro cracked paint on the first 1/3 of the hood (different painful problem) However, I quickly come to my senses and appreciate the finer things about the car.... no payments anymore!

astat1
05-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Andre` a return is not an option for me as I am already in a dispute with them over the work. I am having the work reperformed.

Hans, sorry to hear that claying was never able to work. I really enjoy my car which is also brand new, so I want to do what is best to fix the situation.

I also thought about a polish. But after reading other threads, I thought that claying was the least agressive way to go. My goal is to remove the problem, but not create any additional ones.

Thanks for the feedback.

Any suggestions from others? Do I have to bite the bullet and go for a polish?

Thanks.

bjwebster
05-10-2002, 08:19 PM
I would try the clay again. I had to deal with a clear coat overspray problem too. The clay with a few passes cleaned it right up to a smooth as glass finish.

mika17
05-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Instead of clay (if that doesn`t seem to work) try using Meguires Fine-cut cleaner....3M`s fine cut rubbing compound i`d say was too harsh for that. Dap some on the area and work it around with a buffer and polishing pad. I had the same on my car and it took the overspray right out leaving a nice smooth finish.

then use swirl remover and wax...:xyxthumbs

astat1
05-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try in this order. Clay again and then a polish.