PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Old Leather Seats

rusky
05-09-2002, 10:44 PM
Okay, what steps, products, and techniques do I do to condition old leather seats that is hard in some areas. Any techniques to make the leather softer. Should I leave leather conditioner on it overnight? What brands and products will do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby G
05-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Rusky,

The answer will largely depend on the type of leather and the amount of damage. If the leather is a full hide (not split), and it is not treated with a vinyl film, the treatment is to clean and protect with Hide Food. You can soften the dry spots by treating once a week or so until the Hide food gets worked in and hydrates the leather again.

If the seats are a split hide and treated with a vinyl coating, you have a bigger problem. The vinyl coating is designed to keep moisture and stains out, making it difficult to re-hydrate the hide. Under a microscope, you`d actually see that the vinyl coating is not a perfect seal... it does have very small holes, because the hide must be able to breath. To re-hydrate, use a thin, water-based protectant or a solution of Neets foot (sp?). I suggest starting with 303 Aerospace as a first step.

If your leather has started to crack or if the dye is coming off/faded, you have a bigger issue that tretment will cure. There are leather restoration systems available.

db

rusky
05-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info David.:)

BradE
05-10-2002, 03:53 PM
You may also want to check out www.leatherique.com :up

rusky
05-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link Showroom. They got nice products.

BradE
05-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the link Showroom. They got nice products.

No problem. I have used their Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean, they are not cheap but they work better than anything I have ever found on leather. Very good stuff.:xyxthumbs