PDA

View Full Version : "Dust" flying over vehicles

SoTex
05-08-2002, 07:58 PM
If you are ever stopped at a red light, look straight ahead as cars cross your path. You will notice (depending on your eyesight) clouds of dust racing behind each (most) vehicle. It`s kind of like those pictures that you stare into to see an image among all the dots. If you try too hard to see this dust, you won`t see it. Then again, maybe I`m crazy!

Many on the board (at least based on my first day signed on - prevously just browsed) have mentioned particles on the back bumper and deck lid.

Here`s my theory: (I`m not a scientist, so pardon my lack of correct vocabulary) The wind going over the top of our vehicles creates a whirlwind just past the roof. Particles of dust and debris that are too heavy to continue in the whirlwind end up on the deck lid and rear bumper. This would explain the particles "coming back".

I just can`t believe that these particles are creeping up from the paint to the surface as some have indicated.

THERUSE
05-08-2002, 08:27 PM
that`s kinda what i was thinking

you have got to own a van to really see it, my mom has one, the back is ALLWAYS dirty, even if rest is moderetly dirty.

YoSteve
05-09-2002, 12:30 AM
ah, fluid dynamics my favorite! not :D

yes the air flow just past your car is turbulent causing a cloud like effect putting dust on your car.

but the big thing working against you is that the air just against the car is laminar (meaning the flow is consistent and moving with the car not sporadic) The dust will stay in this non-moving layer while , anything big like leaves will blow off the car.

imported_fethead
05-09-2002, 10:45 AM
OK, I`ve got a great idea. I know all of us want to detail our cars and drive them but we don`t want the dust or sun to damage them. Heres` what we do, we hire the people from Universal Studios to create a simulator for our garages back walls. They can develop country roads, lake road cruises, forest cruises and maybe even a drag race. That way you can cruise and not leave your garage. better yet it can be like that movie that starred Jim Carey, where the whole city was a clean dust free set.