PDA

View Full Version : washing after claying?

imported_fatboy
05-08-2002, 07:34 PM
is it necessary to wash the car after claying it before going onto a polish like AIO or PPCL? my current guess now is no washing is necessary since there wouldn`t be any debris on the car because of the claying, but i ain`t sure which is why i`m asking. thanks.

99323ic
05-08-2002, 08:09 PM
I would wash between stages to remove any clay/lube residue and then go to your next step (PPCL or similar or Klasse/Zaino/Wax).

edgewise
05-09-2002, 07:40 AM
With the clay I use (Griots) just a hose down is sufficient.

In short, without going into too much detail:

~Wash with Dawn

~Wash with quality car shampoo

~Leave rinse water on from 2nd wash and use a detail spray for extra lube and clay the car.

~Rinse and dry..begin the next phase (Polish)

imported_Dude
05-09-2002, 12:05 PM
I would definately suggest washing. Even when I am careful, the clay always leaves a few steaks, and a wash will take them right off. The best part is that it only takes another 5 minutes or so, and then you can be sure that your finish is safe.

jdog1988
05-09-2002, 01:15 PM
I usually wash my car twice after I clay it. It removes the lubricant a lot faster than buffing it off with a towel. Has anyone used the Poly Clay from CMA? I have been using Griots and was wondering about CMA`S Clay. :D jj

99323ic
05-09-2002, 02:37 PM
I used CMA`s PolyClay for the first time last week and am pretty impressed with it, even though through my ineptness I ended up getting some small scratches.

With my new PC & SMR, I hope to take care of that next and if all goes well, I`ll go ahead and do the rest of the car.

The section that I did (the trunk) turned out fine...

TX78VETTE
05-10-2002, 10:26 AM
When using clay, I use a soap (Z-7) & distilled water solution instead of the provided lubricants. This and a clean 100% cotton cloth seem to do a very good job. I follow the clay (as recommended) with a Z-7 bath. Use a good quality clay like Clay Magic (my choice) or Zaino`s Z-18.

Jngrbrdman
05-10-2002, 10:58 AM
I love Pinnacle`s Poly Clay. It holds together better than some other brands I`ve used. I did a car last week where I just clayed the hood. Instead of washing it after I clayed I just wiped it down real good with the Koala towel from CMA. Then I followed up with PPCL. It seemed to get all the clay off and really made a difference in the hood. Normally I would rewash the car but that is when I`m claying the whole thing. On just the hood it isn`t that much more work to wipe it down after.

imported_Tony
05-10-2002, 01:21 PM
I think there are several factors to consider when deciding to wash after claying. Sometimes it maybe necessary to wash and sometimes you can AIO.

1. Type of clay

2. Type of QD vs. soap

3. Streaking

4. Oily residue

5. etc

Evaluate your finish after you clay. Would you normally wash a car in its present condition before continuing?