PDA

View Full Version : The importance of not letting MF towels dry fully in the dryer

imported_Intermezzo
05-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Just thought I`d let you good fellas know how important it is to not let your MF towels dry completely on the dryer. Even at the lowest temperature setting (right above fluff), I accidentaly left my MF towels (about fifty of them) in the dryer a little longer than I normally do. When I pulled them out, the towels were completely dry and the tips on the corners were melted. The good news is that it looks like the MF strands i.e. the part that is actually used to buff your car.......haven`t melted together. So, to make the towels usable again, I cut the melted corners off of all 50+ towels. Although the towels still feel very soft and don`t cause any marring on a CD (hehe, sorry RH!), I`m a bit nervous about using them on my black bimmer. I`m seriously considering just limiting them to dusting the interior.

Redcar GUY
05-08-2002, 07:07 PM
sorry to hear but I am glad that you shared this with us, Good reminder:xyxthumbs

Detailing NY
05-08-2002, 07:17 PM
never had that problem. i dry all of them at high temp for about 1/2 an hour and then take them out, never had a problem. Thanks for the tip i will keep an eye on them

NYD

PakShak
05-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Hi Intermezzo,

I`m sorry to hear what happened. I usually wash mine by hand or washing machine with warm water (=<90 degrees) and line dry them. Thank you for the first hand experience. I now know why I don`t dry mine, knowing myself I would have done the same thing...;)

Aloha,

~Ranney

99323ic
05-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Although dryer heat levels differ, I`ve used the knits setting successfully for over a year. It`s a lower temp than the regular setting. It may also be labelled as delicate or lingerie.

If your dryer has an air fluff setting (no heat), you can also use that.

imported_killerjg
05-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Sounds like an occasion for another Group buy:D

imported_awd330
05-08-2002, 10:08 PM
My dryer has a moisture sensor feature. You can set it to varying degrees of dryness before automatic shut off.

Should we start a product review thread for washers and dryers? :D

bobdec
05-08-2002, 10:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem with your mf towels. I always dry mine in the dryer though and have for years without any problem. I always use low heat.

As for using them on your paint, if they don`t scratch the cd, why do you think they would harm your paint? Sounds to me like you saved them in time.

PakShak
05-08-2002, 11:00 PM
I had QD my car yesterday with a couple of MF towels and I had forgot to take it with me to clean so being the detailer I am. I took the two MF towels that were in my car to work and washed both of them under warm water with Dawn. I then wringed it to take as much water out of the MF towel. Then to dry I put one MF towel on my fan under my desk which was turned off. The other MF towel I put on top of my computer case. And by the time, I left for the day, they both were completely dry. Ready to use with my next QD. Now that is what you a true Detailing Enthusiasts. :D

Aloha,

~Ranney

YoSteve
05-08-2002, 11:33 PM
I found a MF washer before, guess now I have to find a dryer too ;) Thanks for heads up though.

rd_volvo
05-09-2002, 12:47 PM
After many moons of washing my car towels I have found that

it is best to dry them to about 80% because drying at 100%

seems to make the naps a little corse. At 80% they are nice

and soft.

At 80% just fold as usual and they will dry the rest of they

way on the shelf.

Mitts I dry at 50%.

Good topic Inter.

nerdhunters
05-11-2002, 04:55 PM
I think MF towels pick up lint when dried in a dryer and the shape of fibers holds on to the lint. It holds on until, of course, you use them on your car. I say this because I was getting lint from my glass only MF towels until I stopped drying them in the dryer. I air dry now and no lint.

imported_Intel486
05-12-2002, 02:23 PM
thanks for the heads up

If you don`t feel like using them on your car anymore, then you can send them my way :D