PDA

View Full Version : Grease Lighting

imported_Tony
05-07-2002, 02:57 PM
I purchased a bottle of Grease Lighting at Auto Zone to clean my clear coated chrome wheels. My biggest battle is with brake dust. Has anyone used this product on chrome and is it safe? How effective is this product on brake dust?

Thanks for your response

rightlane

MikeLS
05-07-2002, 03:15 PM
I`ve seen the Greased Lightning at AutoZone too. Read the back label carefully and it cautions that it should NOT be used on any aluminum or aluminum alloy wheel finish. It also says it will remove paint! I`m assuming this means it`s acidic and can etch, cloud, or discolor wheels or your car`s paint if it comes in contact by accident. Needless to say, I left it sitting on the shelf...

dlw
05-07-2002, 04:14 PM
I used a Greased Lightning/water mix to clean the grime and brake dust off the painted inside of my front wheels and some of it ran on the polished aluminum outside of my wheel and really discolored it. I had to use some chrome/aluminum polish on the wheels and really work hard to bring the rest of the wheel to where it all matched and the streaks from the GL blended in. I learned a good lesson again (if one really learns something new each time they make a mistake, mensa should be calling me soon!). I use the heck out of Greased Lightning, as I hate the smell of Simple Green, and except for the wheel fiasco, the GL has done a great job for most anything else.

imported_Snowman
05-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by dlw

I used a Greased Lightning/water mix to clean the grime and brake dust off the painted inside of my front wheels and some of it ran on the polished aluminum outside of my wheel and really discolored it. I had to use some chrome/aluminum polish on the wheels and really work hard to bring the rest of the wheel to where it all matched and the streaks from the GL blended in. I learned a good lesson again (if one really learns something new each time they make a mistake, mensa should be calling me soon!). I use the heck out of Greased Lightning, as I hate the smell of Simple Green, and except for the wheel fiasco, the GL has done a great job for most anything else.

I agree 100% on that one. I used Greased Lightning on some wheels and they turned out horrible. Little did I know I was using the wrong bottle. Greased Lightning makes a degreaser and a wheel cleaner. I sent my son out to get the wheel cleaner and he picked up the wrong one by mistake. Fortunatly the wheels weren`t anything special and I didn`t lose any sleep over them. I took it as a chance to see how I could fix them. Oddly enough I got them back to normal with Blackfire. I don`t remember what it was called but it was the first bottle. I just applied some and let it sit for about an hour. Actually, to be honest, I forgot about it for awhile. Anyway, I buffed it off and it left a clean wheel behind. Go figure. It really messed up those wheels for awhile though. Don`t use the degreaser on your wheels. The wheel cleaner works great though.

imported_Tony
05-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Thanks, I will make sure to keep the degreaser and wheel cleaner seperated.