PDA

View Full Version : Careful with the PC`s guys.. (not good)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 12:30 PM
I had been working on the SS trying to get a few small swirls out, I have shows comming up in a few weeks. I had used the PC and SMR on the SS before, but I was just trying to get a few places that are hard to get to. Well one of them is around the hood scoop, I took the grill out of the scoop and was trying to get around the hood opening reall good when I past over the left side and whiffffff there went some clear and paint right down to the yellow fiberglass! I was in shock! :shocked

Okok so I cooled down and got out the dig cam to take a few pics (4 in all) you cant see it too well from the pics

Pic one

edgewise
05-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Ouch! :shocked

That kind of area is where I use these (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005&SKU=10629) with Fine hand polish and then wax (I have two for each step as to not cross contaminate). I only use the PC on large flat or slightly contoured surfaces personally.

BradE
05-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Bill,

Damn, that really sucks. :( What pad were you using?

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 12:38 PM
I am not sure y the last pic is the same as the first one but as yt]ou can see that they have a different name?

Any how, So then I tried to touch up the mess a little, I sanded with a little 3000 grit wet sand paper, then a coat of touch up paint, let dry sand again, then another coat. I cant wait to see if/how well it holds up......

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 12:39 PM
white pad......

Here is the last one, becareful all:(

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 12:44 PM
Here is another before pic (if it works)

BradE
05-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Are you sure the backing plate didn`t touch the paint? I didn`t think the PC would get hot enough to burn edges.:confused:

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Are you sure the backing plate didn`t touch the paint? I didn`t think the PC would get hot enough to burn edges.:confused:

I dont think so, But I could see how the paint would be verrrry thin in that part of the hood .........my bad:(

Sirslap2
05-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Well that makes up my mind.

I was sitting on the fence on a PC purchase but forget it now.

Sorry to hear that:(

I remember the carcareonline article that says any thing that can be done with a machine can be done by hand (that also includes burning the clear as well I found out).

I sure some of you won`t totally agree but the percentage that can`t I will take to a profesional.

Chalky
05-07-2002, 01:27 PM
I`m with you Deemo. I was on the fence as well. I was thinking of getting a PC and doing my Porsche with it. I think I`ll pass on the thought now.

I read many people say that you can`t hurt your paint using a RO. Well if RedCar guy can have something like that happen, then there`s no telling what kind of trouble I could get into.

Reminds me of the first time I used a belt sander on a piece of furniture I was making. The quickest way to ruin a piece of wood is with a belt sander.

Redcar GUY
05-07-2002, 01:32 PM
I wasnt trying to talk anyone out of getting A pc, I still Love mine. Just becareful!!!!!!!!!!!:nono

BradE
05-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Just a note, you can`t "burn" clearcoat by hand. You can go through it by hand but you can`t "burn" it, that would require a machine.

I also disagree with the statement "anything that can be done with a machine can be done by hand". Some things can`t be done by hand. Like breaking down rough abrasives for example, that will require the heat of a machine.

Mindflux
05-07-2002, 01:43 PM
In all the posts i`ve read in the past few weeks about the PC I have never heard anyone talk about the PC burning the paint.. I`d be more inclined to say you hit your paint with the backing plate... but it`s just a guess I wasn`t the one doing it!

TonyTahoe
05-07-2002, 02:16 PM
Guys, don`t over-react. This is the FIRST, the FIRST complaint, problem, anything that has indicated that anyone has every had a problem with a PC. The rest of us using them are NOT, NOT, NOT professionals.

So if 1 problem (and not enough to make RedCar Guy shelve his PC) versus hundreds of happy users is enough to scare you away, then you better stop driving your car ` cause its a dangerous world out there! C`mon; take a chance!

PakShak
05-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi Redcar GUY,

Ouch! Sorry about what happened to your SS. Usually, I only PC areas that are flat and easily accessible. Everything else I do by hand. I avoid using the PC around Edges because paint is usually thinner around those areas. Case in point, I think by sharing this, you have helped others realize that using a PC is safe but be very careful about using it around edges. Thank you for being honest and sharing this misfortune. It was a lesson well learned and I think others will appreciate it you sharing this.

Aloha,

~Ranney