PDA

View Full Version : Zaino and Micro Fiber towels

BLUNV
05-07-2002, 09:33 AM
Have been using Zaino for 2 years with cotton towels for wax removal. This spring did the entire process starting with claying,Griots machine polishes, Six coats of Z5 with MF towels from CMA. Used the blue scrubbers for polishes, the green detail for wax. Also used Z7 with Big Blue towel for the first time. I am very satisfied with these MF towels. How many other Zaino users have changed to MF towels?, especialy since Sal prefers cotton.

Mindflux
05-07-2002, 09:34 AM
A lot of people still use cotton, Personally I`ll go the MF route (I havnt` Zainoed yet but I will this weekend if the weather permits)..... I probably would use some Charisma Towels if the fieldcrest outlet wasn`t out of stock on plain whites.

rolle4
05-07-2002, 09:55 AM
I`ve used MF towels exclusively with both Z5 & Z2 on both of my cars. I`ve found no problems at all and IMO the MF is softer and has less chance of marring the finish. Just keep a fresh surface doing the work and it will take several towels to buff out one car. Also the key with MF towels appears to be keeping them clean, so wash throughly after use....

imported_memnuts
05-07-2002, 09:55 AM
I have had great success with cotton towels for all Zaino processes and with black cars need all the added protection offered by plush cotton. I have MF`s for small detailing and interior but see no need to change to MF`s. I also sometimes use flannel, which is the natural form of MF, for a final polishing and QD`ing. :)

TortoiseAWD
05-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Another Zaino heretic here . . . I use foam applicators and MF towels. :up

Tort

Mindflux
05-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Foam Applicators eh? ;) Well that was .... a half truth ;)

MikeLS
05-07-2002, 11:28 AM
I still prefer good ole high quality 100% cotton toweling. I`ve found a couple different brands that IMHO work better than the Fieldcrests that I`ve been using for years. I now use the POLO towel and Noble Choice toweling. After I switched, my finish was finally nearly 100% swirl/spider free! Not bad for a 10 yo daily driver!

:bounce

I`m not completely sold of the MF idea. Great in theory, but not so hot in results IMO. I`ll stick with 100% USA made cotton.

:wavey

TortoiseAWD
05-07-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

Foam Applicators eh? Well that was .... a half truth Heh . . . yes, I`m even more of a heretic. I`ll use the PC to apply ZFXed Z2/Z5 when I intend to do multiple layers in a day (what, me lazy?). However, for a single layer or for non-ZFXed Z, I break out a Viking foam app:

http://members.cox.net/sborders/Posted/monkey.gifhttp://members.cox.net/sborders/Posted/applicator.jpg

Mindflux
05-07-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

Heh . . . yes, I`m even more of a heretic. I`ll use the PC to apply ZFXed Z2/Z5 when I intend to do multiple layers in a day (what, me lazy?). However, for a single layer or for non-ZFXed Z, I break out a Viking foam app:

http://members.cox.net/sborders/Posted/monkey.gifhttp://members.cox.net/sborders/Posted/applicator.jpg

Woah that thing is cool.. I just have some Meguiars Yellow foam applicators.... I havn`t used them yet but I often wondered how the heck to hold them..

dlw
05-07-2002, 04:45 PM
TortoiseAWD sold me on the Viking foam applicators and I`ll never go back to the cotton ones. 6-7 months using the same one and not a sign of any marring on my dark red Vette, dark red Cherokee or my son`s Black Pearl Honda Prelude. I tried some very good MF towels to remove Z-2/5 and they seemed to work great but I was a little nervous about how the MF pulled on the surface of the vehicle and I was afraid I was removing too much of the Zaino polish with the MF towels, so I went back to my Cannon/Fieldcrest Charisma`s for buffing the Z. I do use my YoSteve`s MF towels to QD with Zaino Z-6 and love being able to do even the whole Cherokee with one 16 x 16 MF towel. I even cut my Z-6 to a 50/50 water mix and it still does a beautiful job. I also have both CMA`s big blue drying towels and Neat Items terry bath size drying towels and dry with these exclusively. The MF seem to outlast the cotton towels many times and remain softer, and I can use one MF towel VS. 5 or 6 large cotton towels for drying the cars off. I love micro fiber and even buy the cheaper small ones at auto supply stores for windows and interior cleaning.

imported_killerjg
05-07-2002, 10:16 PM
I am on the TorAWD Viking app as well.:up

I like cotton better for Z, BF and SG.