PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Chips and Dings?

janderson
05-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Is it possible to protect the front of your car from the hazards of daily driving? I know that you can get a clear "sticker" type product to put on the hood of your Z3 BMW, but I have not heard of any such product for Volkswagens.

Are there other products out there? I-95 in MD has a bunch of work currently going on, which has put lots of rocks on the road (not good for paint). Sometimes, it`s like you are driving around with someone shooting BB`s at your car.

If you have any suggestions fire away.

Best regards.

Mindflux
05-07-2002, 09:10 AM
I have a "Clear Bra" on my VW. They aren`t really made per vehicle per see. (Well you can get them cut that way, www.stonguard.com) but I just had mine put on at a Tint place, it cost me about 150 dollars they did 12" up on the hood and 6" back on the fender flares. They`ll do your grille and such if you ask them to.. I love it I`m sure it`s saved me plenty of rockchip filling nights.

Dave N
05-07-2002, 12:23 PM
This company makes protection sheets for many models of cars and trucks:

http://www.xpel.com/

imported_Intel486
05-07-2002, 04:10 PM
I just can`t imagine having something stuck to my paint.

IS there any place that sells plastic sheets which can easily be removed?

dlw
05-07-2002, 04:34 PM
The only effective thing I`ve found for avoiding rock chips is my garage. I just die everytime I get stuck behind some big truck spewing out rocks and gravel, but I cannot bring myself to cover up the car with anything that detracts from it`s appearance and even the new "clear" coverings stick out like a sore thumb. Kind of like a beautiful woman wearing one of the "religious coverups" you see in the news. What a waste! I can handle a little bit of wear and tear on my cars and my women, adds character. Boy, I hope my wife doesn`t read this! LOL

medic
05-07-2002, 06:35 PM
you can get your whole car covered in the xpel or similar 3M stuff. a good place will wrap it around each body pannel so you can`t really see it (unless you get up close) since there is no visible transition from the clear plastic to the actual car.

Thing is, you are never getting under there again so make sure it`s super clean before you let them start adding layers to your car.

janderson
05-07-2002, 08:26 PM
The plastic stuff is not an option. Medic and DLW are right. I love to detail too much. I will just have to be more careful on the road.

Plastic is simply not an option ;) .

Best regards.