PDA

View Full Version : MF towel observations

Pages : [1] 2

99323ic
05-06-2002, 07:31 PM
While on several errands today, I ran across several brands of MF towels and thought that I`d attempt to make some general comments. I can only directly compare towels sourced from CMA (as I`ve never purchased from other sources), but from what I understand, YoSteve & Tacscar share the same vendor as CMA, so their`s should be pretty much the same.

While at Target, they had the Bja Sol brand of MF towel in a 3 pack (1 for glass and 2 for "polishing and finishing"). Since they were in a sealed plastic box, I could not make a comparison based on touch, but visually they appeared to be garbage. In fact, threadbare is the word that came to mind when compared to my CMA towels. Probably fine for around-the-house dusting and dish drying, but a complete waste of money, otherwise.

I next had to hit Discount Auto Parts, where they carried Detailer`s Choice branded towels. Frankly, they appeared no different, right down to the packaging. I still wouldn`t waste my money.

My last stop was at PepBoys, where they carry Turtle Wax brand towels. These also were a carbon copy of the Baja Sol & Detailer`s Choice towels. [I do believe that I read here some time ago that TW manufactures Baja Sol for Target. I don`t know if that holds true for Detailer`s Choice]. Once again, I wouldn`t waste my money here either.

As I said in a post the other day, you get what you pay for and the quality of towel that you can get from CMA (direct observation), or YoSteve and Tacscar (by theory (meaning A=B=C)) is significantly better. The money you spend for these towels is an investment.

Just my $.02

imported_Blake
05-08-2002, 08:15 AM
Sorry but I can`t agree on the Turtle Wax MF Towels. They are not thin and hold up very well in any comparison...especially considering the price. More bang of the buck.

BradE
05-08-2002, 08:37 AM
jimwh,

I agree with your observations, most of the MF towels you can purchase at stores are garbage. The infamous NicSand towels are among the worst.

I have only Miracle Towels and Neatitems towels. The last 2 Miracle Towels I got from TACS are great, no linting at all. And what can I say about Neatitems, for the $$$ they are unbeatable.:xyxthumbs

maxshine
05-08-2002, 08:43 AM
IMHO - the Target MF Towels aren`t bad. I really like the Glass Cleaning towel and the regular towels are great for door jambs, etc.

Rcs476
05-08-2002, 08:55 AM
The turtle wax one`s are pretty nice, I have been using them on my car for the past week, no problems here. I have a black car, and I was watching to see if it would scratch or mark the paint. Nothing. From me, they get :xyxthumbs

imported_StyleTEG
05-08-2002, 08:56 AM
I use a package of the target towels for the dash, applying tire dressing, door seals and other smaller jobs.

I would rather save my high quality MF`s for use on my paint :)

NYCPathfinder
05-08-2002, 08:58 AM
jimwh,

Are the MF towels you`re talking about a waste of money for the regular joe (read: me ;) ) who just wants a nice shine but not neccessarily a professional shine? Or are they that bad that not even a regular joe should use them? Do they cause harmful side effects to the paint, such as scratches or something? The reason I`m asking is cause I want to detail my car this Friday and I`m afraid I won`t be able to get the CMA MF towels by then even using 2nd Day air as a shipping method.

Also, could I use a bath towel made of 100% microfiber?

Thanks,

Diego

imported_memnuts
05-08-2002, 09:07 AM
If you order from CMA today especially this morning they will arrive east of the Mississippi in 2 days. They are very good about shipping your order the same day. Ship today it will arrive on Friday. I have ordered on Mondays and received my order on Wednesday at no extra shipping cost. :xyxthumbs

:bounce

NYCPathfinder
05-08-2002, 09:16 AM
blkZ28Conv,

You used regular UPS Ground? I`m still gonna order them but just in case I don`t get them by this Friday will another MF towel be ok or a bath towel made of MF? I`m really anxious to detail this weekend and would not like to wait longer......I think I`m on my way to being a ture autopian ;) :D

imported_memnuts
05-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by NYCPathfinder

blkZ28Conv,

You used regular UPS Ground? I`m still gonna order them but just in case I don`t get them by this Friday will another MF towel be ok or a bath towel made of MF? I`m really anxious to detail this weekend and would not like to wait longer......I think I`m on my way to being a ture autopian ;) :D

Yes, they used regular UPS Ground. I was completely surprise to track my order the next day and noted that it would arrive the next day ( CMA will send a confirmation and a tracking number).

I am not sure if microfiber bath towels exist but you can certainly use a high quality 100% USA cotton bath towels. As a matter of fact I only use 100% cotton towels for wax/sealant removal. In my case it is Zaino. I use MF`s only for final polishing and small detailing spaces ( doors, interior,etc.). There`re many who use MF`s with great results and swear by them.

Welcome to "Club Autopian". You are already a member if you are looking forward to detailing this weekend and ordering the best equipment available for your car.

99323ic
05-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Diego, Yes you could use one of the other towels in the mean time, but I think you`d be better off buying a couple of good quality cotton towels for your weekend project.

Your towels are an investment, so whatever you buy will be with you for a while. Except for my Big Blue Drying Towels and PowerScrubber Towels, mine are all over 1 year old and look almost new. The others are only 1 or 2 months old.

But if you order soon from CMA, I would think that you might have them in time. They`ve been very good to me in the past.

NYCPathfinder
05-08-2002, 10:21 AM
OK, I ordered the MF towels from CMA about an hour ago and will head to bed bath and beyond to get a couple of high quality cotton towels for my weekend project just in case I don`t get the MF towels by then. In either case I`ll have me a nice couple of cotton towels :)

Thanks for the reply guys....btw, I received my Klasse products yesterday from CMA, can`t wait till Friday...woohoo!

imported_memnuts
05-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Do not forget to post results and pixs if possible. Have fun, the addiction has just begun.:up

bobdec
05-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Be careful of any towel that says 100% microfiber. I`m not saying that it is not a good towel, but more than likely it is made in China and I haven`t found any towels made in China that I like. I`ve tested many different blends of mf towels over the last few years and will only use 70/30 on my paint. The best ones seems to be made in Korea, although I do have some good towels that are made in Spain and Italy also. I agree with ShowroomLincoln, CMA, Tacscar, Neatitems towels are the way to go. Once you have a really good mf towel to compare with lower end towels, you`ll see and feel the difference.

TonyTahoe
05-08-2002, 10:30 AM
I have Tacscar and yosteve towels with the yosteve towels being a lot newer. I am satisfied with both sets. I have also heard enough to try the neatitems towels.

I do wonder about the towels being sold on Ebay now for about less than $2 shipped. They look good and I might ask him for a better picture of one towel and the label. Who knows...

I agree with what was said about using the marginal quality towels under the hood and in the door jambs and using the expensive ones on the body panels.