PDA

View Full Version : Confused re: foam pad vs. cotton terry

NattyBumppo
05-06-2002, 09:49 AM
I`ve read so many different detailing posts, reviews, tutorials etc. over these last few months that I don`t know whether I`m coming or going:nixweiss . Can someone clear this up for me?

polishing with Meguiars #7 - I`ve been using super soft, 100% cotton terry towels (or bonnets when I use the orbital) to apply and remove #7. Haven`t had a problem, or so I thought, but I have noticed that I`m just starting to get some very faint swirl marks. The truck is bright red and is 6 months old.

Waxing (Meguiars #26 paste)- been using foam applicator pads (Meguiars) and removing with the 100% cotton terry towels.

Is the preferred method foam for the polish application and foam for wax? Or am I getting it right using the terry for the #7 polish?

Lastly, I see most of you folks use the MF towels for buffing and removing the wax. The towels I purchased are super soft 100% cotton terry and the MF 3 pack I got (Viper) seems harsh by comparison.

I was always told cotton terry for liquid polish and foam for wax.:nixweiss

rolle4
05-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Meguiars #7 can either be applied by hand or machine, I personally use the PC with the white CMA pad, then either hand apply the #26 with a Viking foam applicator or if I`m lazy and want to use the PC I`ll use another white CMA pads (allways keep your pads separate and dont mix products)

The results seem excellent on a burgungy Tahoe, no swirls to speak of, I then buff with MF towels.

imported_Intel486
05-06-2002, 04:17 PM
I use Foam pads on my Dewalt for applying polish. I also use foam pads for applying polish to areas the buffer can`t get. Foam for applying wax too.

I use 100% cotton terry towels for buffing off wax simply because I do not have enough MF towels. I don`t really think there is a big differece. I just use my MF towels for cleaning windows and quick detailing.