PDA

View Full Version : Remove Zaino for scratch prep?

screwforsurf
05-06-2002, 12:04 AM
O.K., I need some expert advice here...Checked search but couldn`t find the answer.DavidB suggested a fine rubbing compound for two scratches I just got and I`m wondering if I have to remove the Zaino first. I`ve got about 6 coats on. Do I remove w/alcohol, then apply the compound followed by dawn,then the Zaino application all over again? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

BW

vettefan67
05-06-2002, 12:51 AM
Any abrasive will remove Zaino or any other sealant or wax.

Dawn or Alcohol wash then Z7 wash to prep for Z after the scratch removal.

screwforsurf
05-06-2002, 07:34 AM
:nixweiss

Thanks,Justin...Kind of new at this as you can tell.

By the way, what rubbing compound would you reccomend to start with first?

Thanks,

Barry

2k2blackWRX
05-06-2002, 07:49 AM
I asked sal what I should do for swirl mark removal when I already have a few coats of Z5 on.

He told me just to use SMR right over the Z, it will eat through thr Z to the paint. When I get home ill give you the email he sent me.

B

screwforsurf
05-06-2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks...I`d appreciate it.

vettefan67
05-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey Barry,

I`ve only tried 3 rubbing compounds so far:

3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (Available at your local auto store in the paint section, about $7) liquid

Turtle Wax Polishing Compound (green jar, $2)

Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (red jar, $2)

Both TW products were extremely abrasive and cut rapidly and unevenly. I wouldn`t highly recommend either.

The 3M product works well and seems to be very even in its abrasiveness. You will have to follow up with lesser abrasive(s) in order to remove the heavy haze left behind by the rubbing compound.

I`ve got some Eagle One Scratch remover coming in a few days.

I`ll be fixing some scratches on an MBenz S500 and a Maxima, both black, very soon and will let you know how it goes . . . I`ll be filling them paint though, not just sanding it out.

How deep are your scratches?

Justin

screwforsurf
05-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Justin,

The scratches really don`t seem that deep...It almost looks like the corner of a shopping cart (rubber piece covering metal) scraped across the paint.There`s no dent-just a white scratch barely noticeable with my fingernail, two both about 4-5" in length,.25" wide.Tri-City paints says that the 3M Finesse-It is very mild compared to others.Is that the one you had experience with?

Thanks,

Barry

vettefan67
05-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Tri-City, I know them! Miramar or Escondido?

Yes, "FI-II" is not a rubbing compound but a stronger swirl remover. I`d go with a rubbing compound (assuming it doesnt need touchup paint...?) and rub perpendicular to the scratch until it`s gone.

If that doesn`t work, you either need touchup paint or need to move to 2000 grit sandpaper and wetsand it out, then go back to the compound and then move down more to a product like Finesse-It II (/Meguiar`s #2 / Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner / Polish). I use DA C/P instead of FI-II. You may or may not need to follow up with a lighter product.

Get all that? :p

screwforsurf
05-06-2002, 09:41 PM
I think I got it...Off to Tri-City (Miramar) to get some rubbing compound.A friend has some Meguiars#2 so I`ll use that for any hazing.Don`t think I`ll need any touch-up paint but I do have some from when I bought my truck last year.The wetsanding part freaks me out a little.Hopefully I`ll get it out with the r/c. Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help! I`ll let you know how it turns out.

Barry

screwforsurf
05-07-2002, 05:39 PM
:D

Puterbum...

Well I went to Tri-City and....unbelievable service.I asked the guy to look at my truck and tell me what to use.He told me to wait for one second and he came back out with a wet rag and wiped the scratches off! I asked what he used and he told me it was a `paint reducer`??He said to tell all my friends about Tri- City, which I`m doing right now.All I have to do is replace the Zaino that was removed.

Barry