PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of a wool pad...

iforcev8
05-05-2002, 12:04 PM
I had bought 2 wool pads for my generic RO polisher a few months back, but never got around to using it, because I didn`t want to lose my layers of Z.

But my friend recently got into an accident, and totalled his car ( 92 Civic red ), I felt bad for him, but the day after I made good use of his hood, and decided to see how abbrasive a wool pad can be, even with Meguiars SMR 2.0. (It had lots of swirls and oxidation) I was shocked! After a few passes with the SMR, the yellowish white wool pad started to turn pink ! I didn`t know that thing was that abbrasive, even with a really mild abbrasive!

Im guessing I should use foam with SMR 2.0 for a more mild cutting action?

paco
05-05-2002, 12:12 PM
If it hadn`t been cleared, that would pretty normal.

Paco

P.S. Off to Zellers and see if they have some 303...

imported_Intel486
05-05-2002, 12:22 PM
It probably didn`t have a clearcoat on it. It is an older car.

bjwebster
05-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Yall took the words out of my mouth. If no clear, you will probably get the same thing with foam

iforcev8
05-05-2002, 08:52 PM
I am pretty sure its clear coated, 92 wasn`t that long ago was it? If I were to use it on a new car I shouldn`t see the color of the car on the pad right?

imported_Intel486
05-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Yhea, 92 was awhile ago. There were still cars without clear coats back then.

It may have been that the clear coats had been worn down previously. Not sure of the past history of the car though. You might not have been the first person using a buffer on the car.