PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Zaino question

vjd3
05-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Hello, experts ...

I recently purchased a 1995 Porsche Carrera 4, guards red, with 38k miles. The paint is original and in good shape, but it appears to have suffered at the hands of dealership detailers ... there are numerous swirl marks, fine scratches and other minor paint issues.

Back when I owned a Boxster, I bought some of the Zaino products, but never used them. I have Z1, Z2, Z5, the car wash and the gloss enhancer spray.

I understand the theory and application of the products, but I`m a little uncertain as to how to start with the Porsche. I know I should wash the car with Dawn to remove all the old wax, and I`m thinking it would be good to get some of the Zaino clay because the paint feels a little rough to me.

But the swirls have me a little confounded; I know Zaino purports to fill and hide swirl marks but I`m wondering if I should attack those with something else first; I have some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and also some P-21S paint cleaner. Or will the full Zaino treatment take care of the swirls and scratches?

Advice?

Vic

95 C4

Mindflux
05-04-2002, 11:10 PM
I`m certainly no pro, but from what I understand the IHG will just fill swirl marks.. and from that I`ve read Zaino will not bond with the clearcoat on your car properly if it`s not oil free etc etc etc... You might want to attack it with some 3M Swirl Mark Remover.. and then wash the car down with your P21S.. and then attack it with Z7 .. which you`ll need to purchase....

Again, I`m no pro but this is what I`ve gathered from reading..

The *REAL* pros will step in soon..

Mindflux

Fake Pro ;)

Originally posted by vjd3

Hello, experts ...

I recently purchased a 1995 Porsche Carrera 4, guards red, with 38k miles. The paint is original and in good shape, but it appears to have suffered at the hands of dealership detailers ... there are numerous swirl marks, fine scratches and other minor paint issues.

Back when I owned a Boxster, I bought some of the Zaino products, but never used them. I have Z1, Z2, Z5, the car wash and the gloss enhancer spray.

I understand the theory and application of the products, but I`m a little uncertain as to how to start with the Porsche. I know I should wash the car with Dawn to remove all the old wax, and I`m thinking it would be good to get some of the Zaino clay because the paint feels a little rough to me.

But the swirls have me a little confounded; I know Zaino purports to fill and hide swirl marks but I`m wondering if I should attack those with something else first; I have some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and also some P-21S paint cleaner. Or will the full Zaino treatment take care of the swirls and scratches?

Advice?

Vic

95 C4

Lemonxxs
05-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Paint prep is the key to a great finish.....

Buy a Swirl Mark Remover product and get rid of as many swirls as you can....

The IHG is a glaze that fills in swirls with oils and fillers....it does not remove them it hides them.

HTH

WELCOME to the forum:wavey