PDA

View Full Version : Z16 urability ?

backwoodredneck
05-04-2002, 01:23 AM
I use Z16 on my exterior black plastic trimmings, they last OK in rainy weather. The problem is when I do my washing (with Z7), I use a sponge BTW. When I wipe the trimmings with the sponge, the sponge gets black stains, and the trimmings lose their "blackness" and shine. Is the Z16 being washed off? I hear folks saying that it`s durable, but does it wash off so easily? And when I dry using MF towel or chamois, the cloth has black stains when I wipe the trimmings too.

I apply Z16 on a clean trimming using a sponge/foam, and give it a little buff a little later. Am I doing something wrongly?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

imported_Dude
05-04-2002, 11:39 AM
In my experience, all trim dressings wash off. Some just do it sooner than others. Zaino Z16 has good durability. So do Vinylex and Meguiar`s Gold Class Trim Detailer. They will usually survive a wash or two.

Lemonxxs
05-04-2002, 12:01 PM
After applying the dressing let it sit for 10-20 mins and then go back over it and buff it out. This will kinda set the resins and let the stuff last a bit longer.

HTH:wavey

imported_Dude
05-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Window seals always leave black resiue on towels. I have never found one that doesn`t. Plastic trim, such as door handles and bumper guards, on the other hand, should not leave residue. If you follow Guess` reccomendation, you`ll be ok.

2k2blackWRX
05-04-2002, 03:56 PM
wait, lets go back a step!! :shocked

you wash you car with a .. SPONGE!!!!

oh the pain, oh the dirt bieng dragged across the surface, please noooooo please please.

Go find a wash mit, ideally 100% cotton but if you can only find a polyester beld its ok because its better than the sponge!!!!

:nono

backwoodredneck
05-06-2002, 01:37 AM
The sponge I`m using is 3M Large Commercial Sponge C31 or C34. It`s a natural sponge and is recommended by my local Zaino dealer. I used to use a cotton cloth though. Maybe it`s not the ideal, but I have trouble finding nice wash mitts here. :( Fortunately, my car`s metallic silver. so small scratches (there are a few) are very difficult to see, plus it has the great Zaino shine. Will try to get wash mitts though.

I`ll try Guess` srecommendation and see what happens!

PakShak
05-06-2002, 03:13 AM
Hi Boon,

The Z16 has pretty good durability. I usually use it in between washes as a quick detailer. After a final buff the paint really shines and it feels so slick. It actually helps if your layering coats of Z2 or Z5 but it is always recommended to end with Z2 on your paint because it has more of gloss enhancers than fillers like Z5. I know some people actually dilute a 50/50 mixture of Z16 and distilled water and they say it works just as great as using it straight. I never had a problem where the micro fiber towel would black. Actually, it puts on a shine on my vinyl and rubber exterior parts of my car.

When looking for a wash mitt. Look for wash mitts that are made in the USA and are 100% cotton. Look for the cotton logo on the package. Tacscar.com has a pretty good cotton wash mitt you might want to look at plus their shipping is very reasonable.

Aloha,

Ranney