PDA

View Full Version : Hazing of ground effects panels

Bus Driver
05-03-2002, 06:52 PM
The ground effects panels are starting to get a dull haze on my black Blazer Xtreme. I`m thinking of going after it with a good plastic cleaner. The truck is only a month old. Any suggestions will be welcome.:bounce

imported_doug
05-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Cleaner is fine if they`re dirty -but you really want something to bring back a little lustre and protect them. The 303 brand "Aerospace Protectant" is a great all-around stuff for vinyl, rubber - it has plenty of U.V. protection, and won`t leave a high gloss. It is recommended highly by board members which is why I bought some in the first place. You can get it from CMA (properautocare.com).

imported_BretFraz
05-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Aren`t those body panels painted the same color as the body? I don`t think the Xtreme has those textured, molded plastic panels like you see on some SUVs and minivans.

If its painted and glossy just like the sheet metal then the same waxes and polishes you already have should clean up the body kit.

I had an Infiniti QX4 and it came with a sort of body kit that was painted just as the rest of the truck. But the paint on the kit was not clearcoated so it showed fading and swirls much more readily than the rest of the steel panels. What I did was polish those panels by hand using a more aggressive polish than I used on the steel panels. After all the polishing was done I`d wax the entire truck in Souveran and it looked terrific. Until the plastic body kit started to show fading and swirls again.

Bus Driver
05-06-2002, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. That is what I pretty much expected. I used to detail cars back in the late 60`s early 70`s for a living. Back then it was a matter of if it was painted-wax it! I kind of got away from it until this purchase-I believe there is a certain responsibility that comes with owning a black vehicle-. Anyway thought I would check with some people that may be a bit more up to date on this than I am.:xyxthumbs