PDA

View Full Version : cheaper alternatives to klasse?

medic
05-03-2002, 03:28 PM
I like the idea of a 2 step process that will do most of the protection on my car, but just want to know if some cheaper products will achieve my modest goals for a clean car. Btw, my ride is a 10 yr old white daily driver.

Thanks for the input:xyxthumbs

mp5_toronto
05-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Medic,

Exactly what are your goals? I mean, a bottle of NuFinish will keep the least discrimiating buyers happy, and since its only used twice a year its darn cheap.

Just FYI, I bought the Klasse Concours set at CMA, and although it cost a little bit I expect it to last me a long time.

If you specify exactly how long you want to spend per month on your car, and how nice you want your car to remain on a daily basis, some of us should be able to help you further.

BradE
05-03-2002, 03:53 PM
If you don`t want to spend a ton of $$$ on a 10 year old car then a bottle of good ole` Meguiars #20 will work for you. It`s a cleaner sealant with fairly good duarbility and shine, it`s around $16 and most paint shops should have it. Some retail stores might carry it, but I doubt many will because it`s under Meguiar`s "Professional" line.

Don`t get me wrong, I still prefer Klasse or Zaino. But, for under $20/bottle and local availability this stuff ain`t bad.

medic
05-03-2002, 04:19 PM
I`d love my car to sparkle on a daily basis, but it`s just not realistic for me and my current lifestyle.

I have about one weekend a month to take care of my car and I try to do a good job. I`ve usually been polishing 2x year, and then otherwise wash and wax. I`m also getting started with real detailing now that I`ve joined this site so I`m still learing. That`s one reason why getting the high end professional products probably won`t help me.

I want to use quality products, so no NuFinish, but just don`t want to pay a bunch. I guess about $10/month on detailing would be fine. I guess I was just shocked when I saw $30 for a bottle of Klasse. I guess it`s about the same price as meguiars and is supposed to work better right?

How long will a bottle of this stuff really last me? And how long will it last on the car?

Lemonxxs
05-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Figure this for most polymer products about an ounce or less per layer for the normal car.....

Most polymers will last about 3-6 months of protection and for the most part shine after an intitial 3 layers. Then add a layer or two every 6 months.

On that 16.9 oz lets call it 17 would be about 17-24 layers for your car it will last a long time.

THERUSE
05-03-2002, 05:30 PM
hey.

just an opinion on the #20 (poly sealant).

i find that product to have WAY to much residue,

it was getting super annoying,

i don`t really think it lasts that long (my car is parked outside, paren`ts won`t give up the garage :argue )

and you can`t layer because it has cleaners in it.

i used to be into meguiars and found out that the medalion is pretty much the same thing without the cleaners.

just a though

porterdog
05-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

Figure this for most polymer products about an ounce or less per layer for the normal car.....

Absolutely. I bought some 1 oz bottles so that I could monitor my use of Klasse Sealant Glaze; I got 2 coats on my Miata and 2 on my friend Robbin`s 325is from one filling and still had some left. Applied correctly, I think that a bottle of SG would last the normal person several years and the AIO even longer since you only use it at the beginning.

Try it; it`s worth the money. Alternatively, YoSteve sells cheap sample kits that will probably last over a year and will let you see if you like it.

Regards,

Robert