PDA

View Full Version : Black Porsche questions

Chalky
05-03-2002, 10:57 AM
I have a garage queen Black Porsche 911. The car is a 1988 with 24k miles and is in near mint condition. I currently use Zaino on the car. However, would like to make the car look even better.

I have some minor swirls in the car (don`t all black cars have some swirls) that Z5 doesn`t seem to remove. When I first purchased the vehicle, I used P21S paint cleaner followed by P21S wax. I found the P21S hard to use and had a tendancy to leave some minor streaks on the car, which were a bear to remove. So I switched to Zaino. I did the complete Zaino treatment including using the clay bar. Z2, Z5, Z6 and wash with Z7.

What I`m thinking of doing is giving the car another treatment of the P21S paint conditioner, followed up by.........

- I think I`d like to try Pinnacle Souveran.

- I`ve never used a random orbital buffer and don`t know if this is neccessary.

- Should I put the Souveran on immediately following the P21S treatment or should I put something else on first?

- In the CMA catalog there is a Souveran Paste Glaz for $35 and another Souveran for $70. What is the difference in these two products, and is the more expensive one worth it?

I realize this paint is 14 years old, but it is still in excellent condition. However, I think it can look even better. Any suggestions from the gurus on this board are much appreciated. I`ve attached a picture with the Zaino on the car.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/pmpre/images/MarkY/right_side_small.jpg

Brad B
05-03-2002, 02:39 PM
You should go with the Souveran which is intended for darker colors. You should also spend more time on prep products and be sure any swirls and hazing are removed before applying Souveran. I would suggest Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion after using a swirl remover such as 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark paint or 3M Finesse It II. (if needed)

The buffer is a time saver but not a cure for swirls. You may be better of without it at first and spend more quality time by hand with pure foam applicators. Take your time whatever you do. Go slow and be thorough.

rd_volvo
05-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Have you used Blitz yet? If you have not, why not compare

with Zaino and Souveran. Jerry S. uses it on his fleet of

Porsches.

imported_doug
05-03-2002, 04:05 PM
Take it from another black Porsche owner - souveran is awesome. Nothing like it. But it won`t get rid of swirls (so do that first) and it won`t last (so put something under it as a base coat (I use Gold Class.)

IMHO, the polymers like Klasse and Zaino are wasted on a black car - they don`t look all that great, and their longevity doesn`t matter `cuuz you`re always going to be polishing some spot, which will remove all that hard work anyway.

check out Back to Black (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4686) and feel free to contact me with Q`s.

Chalky
05-03-2002, 04:48 PM
Greg:

Thanks for the reply to my post about the black Porsche 911. You mentioned that I should use something under the Souveran and suggested Gold Class. As far as I can tell, Gold Class is a car wash or shampoo. Is this what you meant.

Also, do you have any suggestions for swirls. I was thinking 3Ms SMR followed by P21S paint conditioner. Or I could get Pinnacle`s Cleansing Lotion.

Any opinions on these steps?

1. Wash car

2. Apply SMR or something you suggest

3. Apply P21S or Pinnacle`s cleanser

4. Some type of wax???????

5. Souveran, about 3 or 4 layered coats

Thanks for any help. I tried to send you a private message, but was met with an auto response from the board that said I should be posting to the University forum instead since I`m a newbie. WTF that`s about, I don`t know.

Brad... thanks for the response

RD_Volvo... thanks, I tried Blitz on my wife`s Infiniti and didn`t care for it.

bjwebster
05-03-2002, 04:58 PM
On my black car, I use p21s gepc with souveran on top. I really like the p21s! It really adds a extra bit of shine. I have both it and the pinnacle and like the p21s better. I applied the p21s with a pc and a white pad and the results were excellsent.