PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my PC, now what type of kit to buy

Chowdur
05-03-2002, 01:28 AM
I just ordered my Porter Cable Polisher and I’ve been looking around on Classic Motoring Accessories Superstore. What types of pads will I need to buy to get good results with this thing? I have a 2001 Black Jetta with a lot of swirls, chips and a large bird poo depression in the clear coat. Along with what types of pads I should buy I need to get some kind of car care kit. I saw on that webpage they have quite a few to choose from. What are your guy’s suggestions? I have almost no car care products to speak of so I’m going to need just about everything.

Thanks

wizardofahs
05-03-2002, 02:12 AM
I like the 6 inch backing plate from CMA (the velcro one). I also got their pads and they were nice... but i like the Meguiars better. You can get the Meguiars 6.5 inch velcro pads and use them. Really all you need is a part number W7006 and W8006. the W7006 is the cutting pad (maroonish in color) and the W7006 is the polishing pad (yellow). The meguiars pads are a bit thicker, and don`t have that awkward dimple in the middle like the CMA pads do. I`ve just found that that makes it easier to not miss any spots. people have their own preferences though. I hear Griot`s pads are good too.

Sharkie
05-03-2002, 10:22 AM
I got the CMA pad and backing plate kit. I really only use the white and yellow pad. The bonnets are useless, have yet to use the wool pad, and anything I’d use the gray pad for I do by hand. If I had a van or large SUV the gray might be handy. It’s only $12 more than the plate and 2 white pads and 1 yellow pad so not that big of a deal.

I just got an orange pad from Griot’s. The foam’s abrasiveness feels in between the CMA white and yellow pad. It’s very stiff and you feel a LOT more of the vibration from the PC. I’ll save this pad for big flat areas to use with stuff like Finnese-it2.

I’ll have to give the Meguiar’s pads a shot since you like them better than CMA’s Dr. Jones.

SJS

imported_BretFraz
05-03-2002, 10:39 AM
I have the CMA kits, several Meguiar`s pads, and other pads I bought from various places.

But I find myself using the stock Porter Cable white pads most of the time. I bought a couple more when CMA was blowing them out. They seem to do most things well except for serious swirl mark removal, but using more aggressive products can compensate for that.

2wheelsx2
05-03-2002, 10:48 AM
Is there any real advantage to having the velcro backing plate other than ease of change? The pad is only held on by one bolt, so it doesn`t look like that much trouble. You`re only changing pads at most twice right? (application of some sort of cleaner, then glaze maybe, the wax or sealant). Is it really worth the money? I say that as I cannot order the backing plate from CMA since I am in Canada, and will be getting a PC from Canadian Tire this month.

Sharkie
05-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Even if you use one product and one pad at a time it’s worth it IMHO. Pads are best stored damp in a plastic bag. Take pad out slap it on, do what you gotta do, take pad off rinse in sink, store back in baggie. :up

SJS

vettefan67
05-03-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SJ Sharkie

Even if you use one product and one pad at a time it’s worth it IMHO. Pads are best stored damp in a plastic bag. Take pad out slap it on, do what you gotta do, take pad off rinse in sink, store back in baggie. :up

SJS

Are you sure pads should be stored damp?? I would be concerned about mildew or other nasty things . . . I store mine completely dry in labeled ziplock bags, same as microfiber.

Chowdur
05-03-2002, 11:36 AM
Thanks for all the info on the PC Pads. What about Car Care Kits? They have a large selection on the Classic Motoring Accessories Superstore. From the posts I`ve read on here it seems to be more of a personal preference when it comes to choosing products. Also I noticed that none of the kits come with swirl removers or bug and tar removers. I will need both of these items, what do you guys recommend?

imported_BretFraz
05-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Swirl Mark Removers - Most of us like 3M and Meguiar`s. Both are excellent and are available everywhere. My local NAPA auto parts stocks both and so do auto body supply stores.

Tar Remover - I love 3M`s Wax, Grease, and Tar Remover. Comes in a little metal container. I found my latest stash at Walmart of all places.

Bug Remover - Different stuff than tar remover since bugs are not tar and vice versa. Looked a long time for a good product and found one at Top Of The Line. It`s made by Hi-Temp Products. As long as you get to the bugs ASAP this stuff works very well. But if you let the bug guts setup you`ll need a sandblaster to remove them.