PDA

View Full Version : Water Temperature

buldog
05-02-2002, 06:58 PM
I quess it depends on the temp outside but I generally use warm water to wash and cold water to rinse.

How about the rest of you?

Lemonxxs
05-02-2002, 07:06 PM
What ever comes out of the hose which is suppose to be cold but probably is like 72F in the summmer. But at first ...........Watch out that stuff comes out boiling from sitting in the hose in the sun..........OUCH

pingiii
05-02-2002, 08:13 PM
I for one like to use what I call tepid, or body temperature water to wash. In other words when you put your hand in it, it neither feels warm or cold. Cold is fine for a rinse.

I feel that`s warm enough to help remove the dirt and road film, but not warm enough to remove any carnauba on my truck. Remember 110 degree water will start to remove your wax.

And I agree with Guess My Name, I always flush my hose out completely before I use it on my vehicle. Just to get rid of that old stale water from the last wash. Enjoy!

imported_awd330
05-02-2002, 08:21 PM
For me, it depends on the outside temperature.

>50 degrees outside - I use luke warm water in the 2 buckets and cold water from the hose to rinse.

40-50 degrees outside - I use slightly warmer water in the buckets and warm water from the hose to rinse.

<40 degrees outside - I bucket wash in the garage with warm water.

imported_Intel486
05-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

But at first ...........Watch out that stuff comes out boiling from sitting in the hose in the sun..........OUCH

LOL That water is bad in the summer but during the winter I love it since I don`t have an outside hot water faucet. I actually lay my hose in the sun to get the water in it warm :P

imported_seres
05-02-2002, 09:15 PM
Whatever comes out of the hose - warm in the summer, cold in the winter! :)

Like the idea of a hot water tap outside, though -- pretty neat!! :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
05-03-2002, 07:43 AM
Hot water for wash and hose temp for rinsing. I like the wash water to be as hot as my hands and take it in order to easily dissolve any soluble material( sap, environmental oils, etc.) that may be on the protectant. Zaino is uneffected by hot water. Cold water rinsing in order to slow down evaporation and water spot development. :)

bjwebster
05-03-2002, 08:37 AM
This is exactly why I like to make the 20 minute hike to my parents house for car washing. Outdoor hot and cold hose bibbs. There is nothing better than at least slightly warm water during those cold winter washes. I never get the water very hot because I am afraid it could harm the paint. ie cold---> hot to quickly.

Jngrbrdman
05-03-2002, 09:00 AM
I don`t want my car to shrink so I always use cold water. :D

imported_memnuts
05-03-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I don`t want my car to shrink so I always use cold water. :D

Integra + shrinkage = matchbox

Not good. ;)

edgewise
05-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Actually, my method is alittle more complex, with Science! ;)

First, add the car shampoo (I use about 1/2 strength recommmended since the car is never really that dirty).

Then I add 2/3 full with HOT water slowly, as to not foam the water up, then swirl the water around so the soap disperses within. This allows the molecules of the soap to break up, disperse.

Then I let it sit for 5 min.

Then I take the bucket outside, shoot it with COLD water from the outside hose, this creates a very good head, one which lasts the entire washing cycle! (I prefer Griots Car wash) It also lowers the temp of the wash water to warm.

After washing each panel(linear motion, flip wash mitt, repeat, then 2-bucket method before next panel), a cold water rinse (straight hose, 90% of the water sheds off if the car is waxed, which it is in my case!).

I learned this method from a Professional Detailer that was visiting Griots one day while I was at their distribution center, he spent 30 min. talking of his art of washing his clients $100,000+ automobiles. Very informative gentlemen with a passion for cleaning automobiles! You could tell he takes pride in his work.

PakShak
05-06-2002, 10:29 AM
Well, living in Hawaii I don`t have a problem of extreme cold water like during winter like many of you do in the country. Our weather here in Hawaii is pretty much constant throughout the year. I guess you can say seasons don`t change in Hawaii... :D

I would say we average between 75-80 degrees weather all year round with occassional dips in the upper 50`s to low 60`s. So the water that comes out of my hose is just right. It`s not hot nor too cold. I guess being in a tropical climate helps...:)

Aloha,

Ranney