PDA

View Full Version : Ooh S**T What a sloppy mistake

Pages : [1] 2

05-02-2002, 05:34 PM
I have made a terrible mistake today with the black Arnage. I had just finished valeting the rugs when one of them came loose. I thought id use some carpet adhesive on them and sprayed the rug far away from the car as possible (near the garage door). Anyway when I got back to open the door, SLIP, the behind of the rug which I had just sprayed touched the rear passenger side door and has left ugly marks. At the time I near had a heart attack and could not beilve what had happened, I still cant. All I can think about is how I have tarnished the cars apperance.

What can I do?? What can remove this glue without messing up the paintwork?? I have tried claying it but the stuff is not budging??Am I about to find out there is no cure??I feel sick, and I need to lie down for a bit and think of a plan.Help autopians, help me. :(

Lemonxxs
05-02-2002, 05:37 PM
PREPSOL....a body shop paint remove anything product....

Or maybe try a alcohol....not GIN but the rubbing kind.

Or GOO OFF...

Detailing NY
05-02-2002, 05:38 PM
It should come out. If clay did not take it out. get some meguiars scratch X or some kind of compound/cleaner. use the PC or rotary and see if it could come out.

I would first use the meguiar`s scratch x and rub with terry cloth towel by hand. I have got some nasty things off paint with that.]

You can also use rubbing alcohol and see if that takes it off as well.

rd_volvo
05-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Do you have any Bug & Tar remover on your shelf.

99323ic
05-02-2002, 05:43 PM
3M Adhesive Remover? Or GM has a solvent available that is quite good. You may be able to find it in the UK.

Good Luck...and don`t worry...everything can be fixed.

05-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Does it matter what type of alcohol?? I have mainly whisky, and bourbon. Is this safe?? And does it need to be diluted.

I am going to try your reccomendations now. Please autopians if this does not work please offer me more solutions. I dont think i can get to sleep anyway so I am going into the garage as I type this sentance on my laptop and am going to get started. Steph thinks i am over reacting but when i take a photo of the marks you would agree that it looks terrible.

A very concerned John Ross

05-02-2002, 05:50 PM
I have T-cut tar remover. Do you think that is any good. What about WD-40???

The next alternative is alchol as suggested by Guess My Name & NY Detailer.

Any more hints if these fail?? I as am typing this am holding a small can of wd-40 , shall i spray it???? I am so fed up I cant even type these sentences properly.

A sad John Ross

Redcar GUY
05-02-2002, 05:51 PM
might try some WD-40?

BradE
05-02-2002, 05:54 PM
John,

You need to use a safety solvent, something like mineral spirits. Put it on and leave it dwell for a couple mintues (5-6 minutes), let the solvent do the work! Come back and wipe off. If any residue remains repeat procedure.:xyxthumbs

05-02-2002, 05:55 PM
I am spraying as i write this around the marked areas. Should i let this dry? Or shall i buff or scrub by hand??? Shall i leave the wd-40 to soak the stain overnight???

BradE
05-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Let it dwell on there for a bit, let the solvent do the work!!

05-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Do you think i should forget the WD-40 treatment now, and buy some mineral spirits in the morning and start then??

Redcar GUY
05-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Let it dwell on there for a bit, let the solvent do the work!!

What he said!;)

BradE
05-02-2002, 05:59 PM
Do you think i should forget the WD-40 treatment now, and buy some mineral spirits in the morning and start then??

Nah, give the WD-40 a shot since you have it handy, it won`t hurt anything. If that does not do the trick you can always try the mineral spirits tomorrow. :xyxthumbs

Redcar GUY
05-02-2002, 06:00 PM
I have used WD-40 to remove sticky stuff from cars paint before, Like bumperstickers and other stickers, I sprayed it on let it set then wiped it off, Also I willl strip the wax off. so reapply:)