PDA

View Full Version : PC Accessory Kit

Mindflux
05-02-2002, 02:25 PM
I just bought myself a Porter Cable at Lowes for 109.99 + tax.

I`m about to buy the accesory kit on CMA but I wanted to know if that had enough pads?

My plan:

Wash with Dawn (obviously no pads required)

Wash with Z7 (no pad)

Claybar (no pad)

PPCL (Pad?) -- Yellow pad?

Z5 - White pad?

Z2 - White pad?

Then buff with the grey pad / or terry bonnets?

Lemme know..

Ryan

BradE
05-02-2002, 03:03 PM
The yellow pad is for cutting and would not be used to apply PPCL, you would use the white pad for that. To apply Z2 or Z5 you would need the black/gray finishing pad, you only get one of these in the kit. The Z can be removed by hand easily so a machine is not necessary for that. I would not use the terry bonnets on your paint...........you will know what I am talking about when you feel them.

PPCL has oils that will need to be removed prior to using Z. I would do this:

1. Dawn Wash

2. Clay Bar

3. PPCL (White Pad)

4. Re-wash with Z7

5. Z1 (if no ZFX), or Z2 or Z5 (gray finishing pad)

Mindflux
05-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

The yellow pad is for cutting and would not be used to apply PPCL, you would use the white pad for that. To apply Z2 or Z5 you would need the black/gray finishing pad, you only get one of these in the kit. The Z can be removed by hand easily so a machine is not necessary for that. I would not use the terry bonnets on your paint...........you will know what I am talking about when you feel them.

PPCL has oils that will need to be removed prior to using Z. I would do this:

1. Dawn Wash

2. Clay Bar

3. PPCL (White Pad)

4. Re-wash with Z7

5. Z1 (if no ZFX), or Z2 or Z5 (gray finishing pad)

OK, I will likely put on a few layers of Z5 and then Z2, I cannot use a white pad for the z5?? They do call it a polishing/waxing pad..

???

JasonC8301
05-02-2002, 04:30 PM
With the white polishing pad you wouldn`t be getting the maximum layering of the Zaino.

I know for a fact most people don`t apply Zaino with the PC, they do it by hand with a foam applicator pad.

I love to apply Meguiars #26 liquid wax by PC and finishing pad, but I have a gallon of that stuff. Zaino is more precious and you should use less per coat by hand because the Pc pad will absord a good amount of the Zaino.

Jason

Mindflux
05-02-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

With the white polishing pad you wouldn`t be getting the maximum layering of the Zaino.

I know for a fact most people don`t apply Zaino with the PC, they do it by hand with a foam applicator pad.

I love to apply Meguiars #26 liquid wax by PC and finishing pad, but I have a gallon of that stuff. Zaino is more precious and you should use less per coat by hand because the Pc pad will absord a good amount of the Zaino.

Jason

Hum.. well I`m tired of my arm falling off when I detail a car by hand.. I was so sore last time I did it my arms would cause me a great deal of anguish the next day.

JasonC8301
05-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Zaino by hand should be a breeze. Application and removal.

The PC is worth its weight in gold paint prep. 3M, Meguiars, autoInt, and other polishes will work great with the PC, much less effort than by hand.

If you want to experiment, sure try a section of the hood with the PC and finishing pad, and the other half by hand. Let dry for 10-15 minutes (depending on humdity and temp (Z2/Z-5 with ZFX)) and remove with a MF towel. I have heard removal was the easiest of any sealant or wax (maybe with the exception of Pinnacle waxes.)

Only thing is to go out there and give it a shot.

Just be sure to get the paint surface as perfect as possible. You didn`t have the PC when your first started right? (bad memory, or was it the fact that I just erased it from my brain.)

Jason

Lemonxxs
05-02-2002, 05:29 PM
As said in Karate Kid....with Zaino....it is wipe on ....wipe off...

It is very easy to do by hand ...

Mindflux
05-02-2002, 05:31 PM
Soooo.. ok so I don`t need a PC? Or should I keep it for such things as SMR or Paint prep PPCL?

Lemonxxs
05-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Pc for abrasives and those cleaner products.

Or to bribe you friendly moderators:D