PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to QD new car

Pages : [1] 2

jrush
05-02-2002, 11:50 AM
I`m sure this topic must have come up before, sorry if I`m being redundant. I checked the site and could not find it.. anyhow..

I`m afraid to Quick Detail my car. I have always heard that if you wipe dust, it will scratch the paint. I jsut spent a weekend doing a multicoat of zaino products, my car looks fabulous. It is the Dark blue-black. What is the best way to QD without scratching paint? Should I get a cal duster?? Thanks,

Joe

blackrex
05-02-2002, 11:58 AM
I`m with you I only QD right after a wash.

rolle4
05-02-2002, 12:05 PM
IMO a little dust is not an issue when you QD. I have multiple layers of Z on my cars and I QD them with Z6 on a pretty regular basis as long as what you`re dealing with is dust. If the paint has more substantial dirt/debris on it then I will opt to wash with Z7 then QD with Z6. Just be sure to not use too much QD and use a very soft cotton towel per Sal`s instructions or use a soft plush MF towel as I do.

I can`t give you any advice on the Cal duster since I have never used one. I`m sure someone else will chime in on that point. Welcome to the Zaino shine! :xyxthumbs

Lemonxxs
05-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Check out the e-book as it gives a pretty good technique for QDING.....I also remember a thread somewhere where everyone described how they QD....

I use two MF towels one for wiping the QD and one for the final buff....rotating often to a clean area of the wiping towel and buffing towel....

vettefan67
05-02-2002, 12:33 PM
I personally do not QD a car except right after washing or if it has been garaged.

This may be the thread GMN was talking about. (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4761) Good description by Short Cut.

gonzo5584
05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
If you have multiple coats of Zanio on your car, then even if the dust does scratch, it won`t scratch your paint surface, but rather the Zanio that`s protecting the car.

vettefan67
05-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Arterion

If you have multiple coats of Zanio on your car, then even if the dust does scratch, it won`t scratch your paint surface, but rather the Zanio that`s protecting the car.

Really? I always thought Zaino layers were _extremely_ thin and were not harder than rock (dust particles). Where did you pick up this info?

imported_Intermezzo
05-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Ron Ketcham used to speak of how polymers like Klasse and Zaino provide a `sacrificial` layer of protection, not only from the elements but also from very light swirls. In other words, your polymer sealant layer will take the brunt of the damage caused by exposure to the elements as well as swirl-marks from detailing your car. Often when I completely removed a sealant from my car, a lot of the swirl-marks disappeared as well. These swirls that disappeared were presumably swirls in the sealant...not the clear-coat.

imported_BretFraz
05-02-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Ron Ketcham used to speak of how polymers like Klasse and Zaino provide a `sacrificial` layer of protection, not only from the elements but also from very light swirls. In other words, your polymer sealant layer will take the brunt of the damage caused by exposure to the elements as well as swirl-marks from detailing your car. Often when I completely removed a sealant from my car, a lot of the swirl-marks disappeared as well. These swirls that disappeared were presumably swirls in the sealant...not the clear-coat.

Wouldn`t that be true with every product, polymer or not? I mean, anytime you apply a layer of product on paint you are essentially placing that product between your paint and the elements. So if the layer of product is damaged by dust, dirt, whatever, it will show swirls, not the paint underneath as it is protected.

Brad B
05-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Yes, that is pretty much true. But the harder it is the better it protects before it gives way and lets the clearcoat take the brunt.

imported_Intermezzo
05-02-2002, 01:21 PM
Yes, it would apply to pretty much any protectant. I should revise my original post to say that polymer sealants provide a more effective sacrificial layer than traditional carnaubas.

vettefan67
05-02-2002, 01:23 PM
. . . and I should revise my original post to be more specific and say that no polymer or other layer is going to prevent real swirl marks from dust particles hard enough to swirl paint.

StonGard on the other hand . . .

YoSteve
05-02-2002, 04:54 PM
reduce your chances on swirls from qd

seal your car up

us a bit of qd

qd after washes only

use a microfiber towel

happy detailing and welcome to autopia

gonzo5584
05-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Sure, dust will scratch protectants. The question is, are mutiple layers of Zanio thick enough to absorb dust scratches?

I personally think "yes", though you are entitled to your opinion. We can all speculate, but unless someone does scientific tests, it will only be speculation.

Also, why do you want to QD right after a wash? Most QDs are designed to touch-up cars between washings. Or at least that`s what the advertising says.

jrush
05-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Maybe I`ll just try the california car duster, no QD unless right after a wash. Thanks

Joe