PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a career in the works . . . .

Green Monster
05-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Ok detailing professionals, I need some advice.

I am a full-time cad-draftsman for the last 12 years for the same company and making good money. I have also been working part-time for this local used car dealership detailing the cars and doing recleans for about 6 months now. I also detail cars on the side on the weekends on and off for years.

I have been offered a full-time job detailing with possible of mangament position in the future(5-10 yrs) after learning every aspect of the bussiness which he wants to teach me. This dealership has been in bussiness for 25+ years and they are also NAPA service staytion. They have about 40+ cars all the time. The owner is cool and super neat freek. Its the only dealership in my area that I know of that removes the seats (all of them) in every car they detail. They have about 6 guys working there and the onwer also owns 3 or 4 NAPA parts stores.

I am 32 yrs old and love being around cars and detailing them and basicaly tried of being from of a computer every minute of the day. I have glasses now too. I think its time for a change, I have no kids yet and I am married so now is the time to take a chance I think but I will have to take a pay cut of maybe 5-6k a year.

What do you guys think? Please advise with your experiance.

imported_fethead
05-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Hey GM, go for it. I am also a CAD designer 19-years, I`m bored to death. I do alot of remodeling on the side, kitchens, baths, porches,fences, etc. I have a wife and son that need my steady pay check. I would love to quit my designers job and do remodeling full time but I don`t have the nads. If someone will give you that opportunity than take advantage of it. He wouldn`t offer it to you if he didn`t think you were worthy. I had a couple of friends die this year from cancer and its made me realize a few things. Do something you enjoy everyday and love your family everyday.

Rcs476
05-02-2002, 10:29 AM
Happiness and job satisfaction make you wealthier than money ever will.

If it`s something you love, the pay cut is irrelevant. If it`s what you want, go for it.

BradE
05-02-2002, 11:09 AM
You should do what you love to do. There is nothing worse than going to a job everyday that you hate, no matter what the pay is.

If you want the detailing job, go for it.

boywonder
05-02-2002, 12:11 PM
I am in IT but I am now starting to do a little weekend thing as well. After I finish working on these 2 PCs that I am upgrading, I am going to clean my car, my girlfriend`s Blazer and my pastor`s car over the weekend. Also, I am also going to hook up with a Maxima friend of mine whose Rosewood 4th Gen has some scratches on it.

Detailing NY
05-03-2002, 08:15 PM
I think you already no the answer to your own question, but you want us to push you to GO FOR IT!!

get out from behind that desk and detail.

I have a wife too, and i think all wife`s are the same. talk with your wife about this first so she dont cut your balls off in the middle of the night. Just besure your wife understands where you are coming from and make the move.

happy at work + happy at home = good life

imported_seres
05-03-2002, 08:47 PM
I say Go for It, too -- once you have kids, it`s a lot harder to change careers - too many responsibilities & expenses to take chances --

Do what you enjoy - you`ll be happier for it!

jkochis
05-24-2002, 10:45 PM
I`m a little late on this thread, but for what it`s worth...

I say DONT go for it. Why? Promises of future positions mean SQUAT. Literally. I wish Vegas took bets on folks promised positions in X years, I`d make a fortune, they rarely happen. Perhaps your situation would be different, and if you take it, I hope works out.

The only way to "guarantee" your position in a company is to OWN it.