PDA

View Full Version : repair scratches or repaint?

180fisherman
05-01-2002, 08:58 PM
I would appreciate some advice from you detailers with scratch repair experience.

A piece of scrap aluminum flew from a vacant lot across the street to where my wife was parked and nailed her Z06-car is 3 months old, she is not happy.

It popped the passenger door along the bottom third and part of the rocker panel. I polished out the abrasions with the PC.

What I am left with are 4 vertical scratches down to the bare metal, each a pencil lead in width and about 1.5 inches long. There does not appear to be any denting of the door, just the 4 very deep scratches.

Question. Should I follow the exhaustive touch up procedures detailed here at Autopia, or have the door repainted? My insurance would cover it at not additional cost to me, but I am worried about paint matching, quality of the after market paint, etc.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

imported_Intel486
05-02-2002, 03:55 PM
What? You let the wife have the Z06 :D

If your insurance will cover it, then get it repainted. Make sure you take it to a quality paintshop though. They can also blend the door panel back in to the surounding panels if it doesn`t match. Since your vette is new, a good paintshop will be able to get a good match.