PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage

F1Crazy
04-30-2002, 05:04 PM
My car got damaged from hail last sunday:mad: .

Damage isn`t severe but noticable, especially on the roof and the hood. I talked to my insurance agent but they just took the report and couldn`t tell me how damage like this is repaired.

Do you think that car needs to be repainted?

I feel really bummed now, but I guess there was nothing I could do.

medic
04-30-2002, 05:32 PM
paintless dent repair? I`ve heard it`s about $40-$50 per dent

buldog
04-30-2002, 05:52 PM
That happened to me about 8 yrs ago with my 90 t`bird. Just made me sick, so I know how you feel. The car was immaculate until then. Paintless dent repair is an option. Ask around body shops ect. There is usually one or two guys in the area that are really good at it. When I picked up my daughters last car a black 99 cavalier there was a dent the size of a golfball in the trunk. Needless to say I wasn`t to happy that it wasn`t fixed or noticed prior to delivery. Anyways the dealer had some guy come in and fix it ( dentless ) I could not find it no matter how hard I looked.

BradE
04-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Be careful with paintless dent repair. Make sure you go to a shop that really knows what they are doing. If they improperly remove the dent they can actually crack the paint film in the process, then a year down the road you will not be a happy camper when your paint starts failing.

Don`t get me wrong it`s a very good option, just make sure it`s done properly.

Sirslap2
05-01-2002, 09:24 PM
Don`t sweat it - it will be fine.

I took my wife`s F150 in to get hail damage out of the hood and it looks BRAND NEW!. I couldn`t believe it.

The tough aspect of the F150 was that the hood is made of aluminum and aluminum has memory (meaning you try to pop out a dent and it has a tendency to pop right back into a dent).

I waxed the hood before I brought it in so that they could get good light reflections for the repair.

Dings don`t scare the crap out of me like they once did.

Good luck!

F1Crazy
05-02-2002, 08:04 AM
Deemo,

How did they fix it?

vettefan67
05-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Check Out This Related Thread! (http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4514)

Sirslap2
05-02-2002, 08:14 AM
I didn`t watch the process but it basically involves pushing out the dents with metal prods and some heating of the dent area if required.

I just had the hood done and a few dings on the bed.

The roof would have required removing the headliner. I didn`t get that done as you can`t see that part of the truck unless standing on a ladder.

One of the shops here had a demo car at the car show where they removed half the hail damage on one side of the car and not the other. It looked great as well.

Not worth worrying over - just get some quotes and get it done.

The comment on making sure the guy who works on your car has enough experience applies. Ask who is doing the work and how many years they have in. If not enough, request that someone with more experience does it.

F1Crazy
05-02-2002, 08:23 AM
I see there is hope...

Thanks guys!

PETER GIANNONE
05-02-2002, 10:52 AM
i had the same problem a few years ago and did the paintless dent repair. they did the whole car for around $700. came out looking like new.