PDA

View Full Version : need a buffer

samiam513
04-29-2002, 06:35 PM
I need a new buffer, polisher. I have been looking at the dewalts, but they seem easily capable of burning the paint.

What can i get that I can teach somone to use that has little chance of burnin g through the paint?

Andre'
04-29-2002, 06:39 PM
I can`t tell you, you must go to School first "Autopia University".:xyxthumbs

Detailing NY
04-29-2002, 06:44 PM
You can get the person a porter cable, if you get the dewalt or mikita and the person does not know how to use it, they can burn the paint and cause other damage to the vehicle.

You must first learn how to use the rotary before doing a car with it.

If you just need a polisher then get the porter cable

hope this helped

NYD

180fisherman
04-29-2002, 09:43 PM
yes, the porter cable is the way to go. I bought mine from Griot`s along with their entire system of pads, polishes, and waxes. They also have an excellent detailing handbook they send out with the kit that is very helpful.

I had never used an orbital in my life. I have become very experienced now, but from my first use, I have never had vehicles that look this good.

very high clarity, no swirls or blotches, and very deep coloring.

good stuff.

BradE
04-30-2002, 07:08 AM
There are 2 different kinds of machines you need to be concerned with, Orbital Polishers and Rotary Buffers. For the beginner you want an orbital. The most popular of these are the Porter Cable machines, models 7336 or 7424. The Porter Cable 7336 can be purchased at your local Lowes store for $109. Nice little machine, especailly for the weekend warrior.

Rotary Buffers are not for beginners. They are professional machines that can burn through paint and totally destroy a finsh if in the hands of an untrained operator. Certianly not a machine for someone that has never used a buffer before.

Get the Porter Cable, it will serve you well. :xyxthumbs

imported_Intel486
04-30-2002, 07:41 PM
Puff Porter cable. What a weak little machine :D

Get the DeWatl Random Orbital polisher. Same as the PC but bigger motor. I used it for about 45mins straight and it wasn`t even hot.

caddyman
04-30-2002, 08:20 PM
The only buffer I have used is a Rotary, direct drive, in my opinion, if your an idoit you can burn the pain, but you get far superior results with rotary, just try a litte on someon`s beater, from `grey` to GLOSS!

Alex

caddyman
04-30-2002, 08:21 PM
I guess if you are not very `apt` to learn new things or dont wan to risk it, then go random orbit, otherwise go rotary..