PDA

View Full Version : Rotary 101

Pages : [1] 2

JasonC8301
04-28-2002, 10:14 AM
Yesterday, NY detailer and I had a few moments of free time on our hands. He gave a quick crash course in rotary use. We used a Makita 9227C. The products we applied with the machine were Automotive International`s Liquid Paint Correction Cream and Foam Pad Machine Glaze. NY detailer first demonstrated on how to use and hold the rotary, and gave me some cool pointers (never on an angle, always flat, keep away from trim/molding, and always roll off the paint, etc. etc.) Wow, he has lots of experience with a rotary. I learned the basics, now I must refine and perfect my technique and build more muscle to hold the machine. The machine is freaking heavy, like the father of the PC. After more practice my forearms will be huge! The rotary set a 2 (900 RPM or so) is like trying to hold onto the PC at 6.

To show me the power of the rotary, Brian let the machine rip off a piece of of rear view mirror. Heres the picture,

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/006/04/57/C3/23/AuAqKtau0rBc3osb16aIFcuxYamwT4Bd0180.jpg

Now its my turn to try the rotary

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00F/34/E6/CB/E0/6zWEA1fuTs0IT9gQPAF4ru5Ou-oq62280180.jpg

LOL, check out those huge biceps, nah that is jsut my rolled up long sleeve shirt, hahahahahaha.

We only had time to mess around with the front fender and top half of the passenger door. Then the cars came, we had to detail 3 cars today (new black Highlander (repainted, a crummy clayed/rotary/#20 with PC, then 26 with PC Acura Legend (what a pain Brian!), and a 1996 Honda Accord that has never been waxed, turned from sand paper to almost glass with a rotary.

What a fun filled day!

Jason

Detailing NY
04-28-2002, 11:48 AM
i wanted to show jason the power that the rotary has since he has never used on. explained to him it`s not like to PC when you can go over mirror and continue on. I told him before i started that i am going to hit the mirror with the rotary and show the reason you must pay attention. The bottom half of the mirror came right off, it was only a glue on blind spot mirror, but i wanted him to see how easy it is to damage something with the rotary.

I think within a month of so, i will be able to teach him the basics and get him on the rotary. he will still need to practice to get the feel for it as higher speeds, but i think he can do it.

BradE
04-28-2002, 12:00 PM
Jason is a true carguy, he will get the hang of it in no time. Keep up the good work Jason. :xyxthumbs

wizardofahs
04-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Jason: how did the results compare to the PC. I wish i had someone around here to teach me how to use one of those, i heard that it`s the only way to turn normal every day paint into a nearly perfect flawless finish.

JasonC8301
04-28-2002, 05:26 PM
On a neglected car a properly trained detailing technician (hahah my title from now on Brian! j/k) with a rotary will beat the PC anyday.

Yhe PC is a good polisher, will make good finishes great, but he PC has its disadvantage, it has a random orbit motion. This translates into less power and heat which will not give the technician flexibility in paint correction (evert ake a dull knife and put it trhough butter, thats the PC, now take a hot one and put it through butter, thats the rotary.) The rotary has lots of power though (PC is 3.7 amps while Makita is roughly 8 or so?) it will generate heat quickly if you dont move around quick enough or if you use the wrong pads/compounds it will create more swirls.

The rotary will turn a very neglected finish into a near flawless one though. A 1996 Honda Accord that was NEVER waxed in its life after delivery was done with the rotary yesterday (2X Automotive International`s Liquid Paint Correction Cream (like 3M Perfect It II Medium cut rubbing compound) with rotary and foam polishing pad, 1X foam pad machine glaze with rotary and foam finishing pad, topped off with Meguiars #26 with foam finishing pad and PC.) The results the surface felt like 150/220 grit sand paper after a wash. After the rotary compounding/polishing the surface was 95% perfect, some marks were too deep to polish out (primer) but other than that the surface was 100000X better than before, we didn`t have time to clay it (ok we didn`t have the energy) but the surface felt close to a clay job, wasn`t as smooth as glass but DARN near close. The owner of the car was VERY happy with the resulting finish. I wish I could of taken some before and afters but I didn`t have time (we had 3 cars to do in about 10 hours.) Next time we will have some before and afters.

So to make an analogy, PC = Glock 9 mm, Rotary = CAR-15 assault rifle. The PC has its everyday use for average to good cars, but the rotary will be needed to make the neglected finishes as close to showroom condition as possible.

Jason

Steve @ Guru
04-28-2002, 06:50 PM
Congrats, Jason (and NY for taking such a quick learner under your wing)! I always enjoy reading these stories - it`s fun to keep up with you guys and see what you`re up to.

Again, good job and let us know how you progress.

imported_JeffBruce
04-28-2002, 08:37 PM
I try to read all your posts...very informative, you must be tired after those kinds of days...and then to post with Pictures...you guys are great...

thks

jeff

Michael H
04-29-2002, 03:42 AM
Dr Jones

Here are before and after pics of a car polished with the Makita:

http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8328 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8328`)

It would take 3 weeks to do that with the PC!

imported_JeffBruce
04-29-2002, 06:33 AM
How did you get close to the trim......?? Did you mask it off ??

jeff

fantastic

Michael H
04-29-2002, 06:51 AM
Used masking tape over the trim.

imported_JeffBruce
04-29-2002, 08:06 AM
Did you use a cutting pad with the makita??

jeff

Michael H
04-29-2002, 01:58 PM
I used a wool cutting pad (for Meguiars dual action polish) followed by the Meguiars Foam pad number W8000 for the swirl remover. Then I used a dual action sander (like the PC).

Detailing NY
04-29-2002, 03:30 PM
I love to teach people how to detail. Even though i own a detail business and may lose a customer i dont have a problem teaching people how to detail.

I just have problems with attention spans, i have the attention span of a wet mop, so i get bored very easy and it does make me get fustrated when teaching.

I am thinking about offering detail classes and hands on with the rotary.

If any one is near me let me know, i will teach you how to use the rotary, jason will be using the rotary within 3 weeks!!

NYD

Blue_Ridge_Products
04-30-2002, 09:45 AM
Brian and Jason.

You guys are aware that each application of Valueguards Paint Correction Cream removes .1ml of clear and that removing more than .3ml risks clearcoat failure? I`m sure the cars are looking great because 2 applications of this product would remove any visble mark on the paint. However Auto Int. recommends no more than 1 application followed by their Pre- Conditioner Cleaner. Was the Honda that brutal that it needed 2 applications and if so are you using an elctronic clearcoat thickness gauge?

Lowejackson
04-30-2002, 03:36 PM
If any one is near me let me know, i will teach you how to use the rotary

If you ever come to the UK, let me know.

The only advice I have been given (except for leave it to us professionals) is to attend a year long course at a local college.

Steven