PDA

View Full Version : Really nasty windows!

Pages : [1] 2

imported_seres
04-27-2002, 08:59 PM
:wavey Hi all! I`m new to this forum & to detailing, and must say I`m learning a lot from all of you - even though I am a girl!:eek:

Are there any other girls in this forum? Well, that`s not my question ---

We just bought a `84 Volvo 240 Turbo Wagon to restore, and the windows are just plain nasty! It`s almost as if they`ve been sprayed with oil or wax!

Would really appreciate recommendations for a good glass cleaner, etc. to get this job done!

Thanks!

JasonC8301
04-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum. There are other females on this forum, articwhite, compulady, and Camarogirl to name a few.

A good glass cleaner may get the window clean of loose dirty and bugs, but stuck on grease/oil will need something stronger.

Try a bug and tar remover, a glass polish, lighter fluid, or a clay bar automotive kind.)

My questions, How old are you and do you detail the car?

Jason

imported_BretFraz
04-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi Shannon,

What I like to use on the exterior glass is #000 steel wool and a liquid glass polish. Don`t worry; the steel wool is so fine and soft that it won`t hurt the glass but is tough enough to remove the crud. The polish and the steel wool work great together. I currently use Autoglym`s Glass Polish. I know that Griot`s Garage sells a similar product.

After this step you can clean the windows in a more traditional manner. Personally, I use a microfiber towel and Stoners Invisible Glass. I`m a real stickler when it comes to clean windows and have experimented with various products and techniques for years. The microfiber/Stoners combo is the best I`ve ever used. Some folks use the time-honored method of crumpled newspaper with their favorite glass cleaner. Newsprint is fine if you don`t have a microfiber towel handy.

I do highly recommend you use a glass cleaner made for automotive applications. Cleaners for the home like Windex simply do not do the job adequately.

Hope this helps. And welcome to Autopia.:)

imported_capspackle
04-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Someone had recommended this to me early on, when i asked what to do to remove some tar/paint/dirt from the windshield..

put some WD-40 on a cotton ball to remove the debris..

but since you say the windows are oily, make a mixture of 50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol and Vinegar, and wipe the entire glass with that.. that will remove all of the oily residue and film that is on there.. then try to get some BarKeepers friend, and polish the glass with that, and finally, follow up with some of the 50/50 mixture you have.

imported_seres
04-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I`ll try some of these and let y`all know how it goes! I`m a stickler for sparkling clean windows, also - streaks drive me crazy! (Discovering that I might be a perfectionist!)

In answer to Paul`s questions -- getting ready to be 37 in less than 2 weeks :eek: (but 25 at heart!) and yes, I do detail my car (the 850) myself - with a little help from hubby.

The 240 is kind of a beater right now, but I have faith that we`ll get it looking good. Interior is nice, but exterior is pitiful!

I must say that up until a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea how to take care of a car properly - although it`s a lot of work, it`s actually much easier when you know the right stuff to use - and it actually works!! Such a pleasure to drive a shiny, clean-looking & clean-smelling car.

Lowejackson
04-28-2002, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the forum.

If possible take some pictures of the car, then you can post them here but also see have far you have come when the car is perfect and shinny.

Have you washed the glass with shampoo, if so what was still left on the glass?

BTW, 37 is a good age and Jason should know better than to ask a ladies age ;)

JasonC8301
04-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Loewjackson - lol, better than asking for her weight :p

imported_seres
04-28-2002, 09:41 AM
Jason, I`d definitely rather tell my age than my weight! :D

We did wash the windows with shampoo first - then used window cleaner -- they didn`t look that bad, but once we started rubbing, it was like the grease or whatever it is started appearing! It almost looked the way rain-x looks when you first start polishing - kind of thick & streaky & it felt greasy.

I`ll take some pics - my digi-cam is not so great, but hopefully you`ll be able to tell.

The car will have to be repainted as the paint is pretty damaged in areas. It`s really kind of strange - looks as if it were in a sand-storm or something! We`ve been trying to figure out what happened to it.

Large project, but I think we`ll enjoy tackling it!

I`ll also try to do some of my 850 -- I`m working on claying, polishing, etc. but seem to only have time to do a part of it per day! I`ve got one side & the hood done so I can do some before/after`s still.

Thanks for the help guys!

BradE
04-28-2002, 11:20 AM
The best glass cleaner I have found is one you can make yourself. 50% water, 25% white vinegar, 25% Denatured Alcohol. The Denatured Alcohol is the key, don`t use rubbing alcohol because it will tend to leave streaks.:xyxthumbs

imported_seres
04-28-2002, 11:42 AM
What about ammonia? I`ve read on some sites to use it, and some say never use it. It seems to leave the glass sparkling...

I`ve used it on the car windows & house windows. What is the general opinion on this?

BradE
04-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Ammonia tends to leave streaks on auto glass, also ammonia can destroy window films.

subymamma
04-29-2002, 03:20 PM
You could try an easy method on a small area first: Dawn in hot water using one of those nylon scrubbies used to scrub Teflon cookware. I`ve gotten some pretty horrendous windows clean with just that. Don`t put in so much Dawn that you see suds, because then it`s hard to rinse off.

Funny, I traded in an 84 Volvo wagon a few years ago and the poor thing looked like hell. I know that is a lot of glass to clean, too! :sosad

Preachers Sheets
04-29-2002, 03:25 PM
Do you want to get brave and use a glass polish if the Showroom product (patent pending) doesn`t clean the window?

imported_seres
04-29-2002, 06:02 PM
It is a lot of glass to clean!!

I haven`t used a glass polish before -- it this hard to use? Do you have to have a buffer or can it be done by hand? (Haven`t got a polisher yet)

Preachers Sheets
04-29-2002, 10:40 PM
It can be done by hand, it just says to apply light pressure in cicrcles, let dry and rinse off. Really eat and it cuts through grime like nothing.