PDA

View Full Version : Those with BBS RX Rims...Question

RedVR6
04-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Well, I broke the law yesterday and busted out the hose. I could not take my rims anymore with the amount of brake dust they had on them, they never had been this dirty...and I am too ashamed to show the car right now on the boards here this year. :(

Washed them thorougly, managed to polish and wax two of them before I gave in due to painful fingers and knees. I have some areas with the the dust pitted into the rims and tried polishing out those areas but if you know these RX rims, there are a lot of tight corners and whatnot and is a royal PITA to get in there. Any tips on how to clean these spots better? I am going to try one of my old clay bars in the areas that I can get some motion in, but other areas where the `spokes` come down to the bead at a "V" is pretty tough. :nixweiss

imported_Blake
04-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Had my wife make some sleeves of cheap terry towel to fit my fingers to fit into the small openings. Pita for sure.

Terry holds compounds or polishes to clean up the area.....but it is time consuming. Eagle One finger covers are too thick.

99323ic
04-27-2002, 04:00 PM
I purchased the Griot`s Wheel Cleaner a whiler ago and it comes with a small sponge that works well on my Jetta`s rims, but I believe they are the equivalent to the BS RS II. Otherwise, either Griot`s or CMA carries a wheel brush made of foam/sponge in different diameters to form a cone. That might work well, too.

Red Wolf
04-27-2002, 09:13 PM
I put a coat of Meguiars #20 followed with Rain-X wheel protectant on my RX II while they were off for the winter. Had them on for 3 washes so far,they are a breeze to clean and seem to be the cleanest part of my car. I realize that more of prevention, then helping you with your current situation.

rstype
04-28-2002, 11:43 AM
I have similar wheels and had even worse ones before:

http://www.aaarims.com/wheels/59255.JPG

My best advice is to simply clean them as often as you can and seal them with some polymer sealant or Rain-X`s wheel protectant. I have also heard of people using Vaseline on their wheels so the dust sticks to the gel instead of the metal. I haven’t tried it myself.

Also add new socks, soft toothbrushes, and foam paintbrushes to your wheel detailing arsenal. Those watercolor brushes are pretty good for the bolts too.

~bw

RedVR6
04-28-2002, 05:35 PM
Well, this was all due to my laziness and abiding by the water restriction rules we have right now. Did not feel like being hassled by the cops, especially since the cheif lives next door. :D

In an event, I too use Griot`s Wheel cleaner with the 3 finger mit. Works wonders cleaning these rims. Saves me a lot of battered fingers. Was using Griot`s Hand Polish with one of my old 3 finger mits and that was working fine. Just a lot of work...and I guess I will have to continue to work on them this week....Good tips though...will take them all into consideration. Kicking myself for being this bad about not washing the wheels at least. Grrr.

BW, love the 5-Series with those rims...glad I do not have to clean them though!;)