PDA

View Full Version : Wax vs synthetic

AutoSparkle
04-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Which provides better protection from the elements - Synthetics such as Zaino or wxes such as Mothers?

TiCoup
04-26-2002, 11:33 AM
Protection and durability would go to polymers hands down.

imported_memnuts
04-26-2002, 11:46 AM
From past experiences with both polymer sealants are by far more durable. Do a search and there should be many prevoius discussions about this subject. :)

mp5_toronto
04-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Yep, syntheics will last much longer. Especially in the cold, snowy winters in Halifax! Take a search of the archives and you`ll find some great discussions.

MikeLS
04-26-2002, 12:25 PM
are much more durable and offer more UV and environmental protection. I`ve used both waxes and polymer sealants for years, I now prefer a sealant for my car. My daily driver stays cleaner longer and is more protected using a polymer than it ever was when I used various traditional waxes. Do I still use waxes on other cars? Sure, when I want a quick and easy carnauba shine.. But, polymers will outlast and outprotect anything else out there.

AutoSparkle
04-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Does anyone have any information on products such as "Diamond Coat" and "Permashine" type yearly treatments. There is one locally that uses a silicon based polish which is then sealed in with a "reactor". They guarantee it for one year. Has anyone else tried these? What do you think of them? Would I be better off with the Zaino product?

TiCoup
04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Not even knowing the yearly "systems" you mentioned I`d steer you to Zaino. I`d bet Zaino would cost you less and you could take pride in the job you`d do yourself. And get it done right also.

imported_fethead
04-26-2002, 03:03 PM
I`m going to throw this one out there. I have a 30 year old car with original cameo white GM paint that is show room new; 26,000 road miles. Does the age, type of paint or color lend itself better to one or the other? I just bought it in October from a museum and the paint is clean and smooth but not slippery. I`m not going to detail it for a month or so but I want to do it right. I you all know back in 73 cars wern`t clear coated. I`m like a couple guys here "I won`t rat you out" but I can tell who you are, that thought Rain Dance was the cat`s *** in its day.

TiCoup
04-26-2002, 03:29 PM
Zaino has a formulation for non-clearcoats - Z3. If the paint is in very good condition, a good old carnuba like One Grand`s Blitz would do a nice job too. On non-clears, 3M`s Imperial Hand Glaze followed by Blitz just glows.

rd_volvo
04-26-2002, 03:38 PM
My first car was a new green 78 Chevy Impala Coupe.

Even in 1978 I was the target detailing jokes. Family,

friends, neighbors and YES if I can remember that long ago

Rain Dance was the defacto standard. I think it was sold more

than Meguiar`s if I remember correctly.

The only boutique waxes would of been Blitz and Collinite

and I don`t even know how the average person would of

learned of them.

Zymol and P21s were not even born yet.

jcr1 3
04-28-2002, 06:44 PM
you can`t beat klasse for overall protection and shine