PDA

View Full Version : Should i start an `Oficial` business?

wizardofahs
04-25-2002, 11:46 PM
I started advertising just last week on local car boards that i do some detailing.. this week i did/am doing 6 cars.. next week is looking be the same, and who knows from there. Right now i just do it out of my garage, and have a $15 for products/materials plus anything you want to pay me type of fee.

I was entertaining the idea of actually starting an official business... getting the name registered, making business cards, paying taxes, all that stuff. I go to school and already have a job (hopefully soon to be replaced by a detailing one for a body shop), but from your expierences would it be a good idea for me to start up a business? I will still probably just do it part time, part in my garage, and part mobile. Is it worth it?

I figure i`d basically be doing a 4-5 hour clay-swirl removal-protect sort of deal like i`ve been doing (also trim/tires/windows and such) and charging $60-80... just trying to figure out if i should keep doing it the way i am, or upgrade it to the next level.

2wheelsx2
04-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Well, that`s what I was pondering in that other thread I started. If you are doing that many, you might as well get paid for it. Believe it or not, I think they`ll appreciate it more if they have to pay full pop for the work.

imported_Intel486
04-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Well, if you make under a certain amount of money from your business you can claim it as a hobby in your taxes. I wouldn`t worry about making it legal unless you plan to do it a lot. Right now I think it would be considered a hobby.

imported_BretFraz
04-28-2002, 12:34 PM
This is something I`m gonna do pretty soon eventhough I haven`t detailed a car for $$ in many years. The tax advantages to owing your own business can be significant; you can write off things like tools, supplies, computers, and business expenses like mileage on your car.

Your state may also offer other tax benefits. This is an idea which you should seriously research. At your age you can really benefit from this stuff. And maybe make a buck or two :)

Research online, at the library, and the bookstore.

Detailing NY
04-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Well maybe i can help you guys out.

It is fun but hard work to own a detail business. I put 110% into each car i do and i am very proud of my work such as you guys are. Just remember to be sure you are ready for owning your own business. A lot of things start to come into play when you own it. These are just some things i can think of right now.

1. Taxes- filling for sales tax & income tax. (dont be late or you get a penalty)

2. employee`s- the busier you get, the more workers you will need. If any one tries to steal jason i will hunt you down and pour paint thinner into you wax(haha).

3. insurance- what happens if you drop something or burn the paint of the car? who is going to pay for that?

4. supplies- what kind of supplies are you going to use and how much do you need? Towels, MF`s, Pads, q-tips, etc.... it all starts to add up

5.advertise- fylers, business cards, internet & word of mouth. Out of all of these word of mouth is the best & the cheapest. One customer likes you they will bring you two customers, one customer hate you and they will tell everyone to go somewhere else.

6. Services- what kind of services do you plan on offering. mobil service or come to me service. How long does it take you to detail a car and how many can you do a day. Charges for the services, what are other detailers charging, what do your supplies cost and how much labor is involved in the vehicle you are about to do. It all starts to come into play.

I noticed that you have you will charge 60.00 to 80.00 is that low or high for your area. I charge 50.00 for a wash & wax which is the going rate in my area. dont be afraid to charge more, if you a better then the others people will come to you.

If i can help you guys with anything else let me know, if you need to ask me some questions send me a PM or email me at perfect.detailing.com

hope this helped

NYD

JasonC8301
04-28-2002, 04:00 PM
Hahaha, paint thinner into wax. Well if you offer a good deal then, well can`t baat the situation I am currently in, got a cell phone, a good job to pay that cellphone and my cc bills. :)

Also you forgot about the pick-ups and drop off service Brian, another one or two hours added onto the day.

Employee`s - find good empolyee`s! Can`t stress that enough.

While NY detailer (Brian) is off picking up cars and dropping off customers, guess who does the work! :D

Supplies - get supplies you can get in large quantity and perform well, we have gallon sizes of Meguiar`s #26, #40, and the Dual Action Cleaner Polish, 64 oz. bottles of Meguiars #20, lots of Mf towels, 100+ cotton towels, and a whole sh*t load of other products. We are currently looking to restock clay, we used the last 200 grams on a crummy Legend (Meguiars 200 gram bar, turned it from white to a dark brown, and Brian dropped half of it onto the ground half way through the car.)

Check prices in your area, don`t low ball it or people will think you use inferior products/techniques, maybe got $20 below average. As you build a customer base, increase prices and mroe options (fabric protection, sealant, oxidation removal.)

wizardofahs
04-28-2002, 04:49 PM
NYD when you charge $50 for a wash and wax how many man hours does that take? The job i`m doing now includes washing, claying (if needed), a pass with the PC and FI-II (or SMR if it`s not as bad), a pass with Klasse AIO or BF Polish with the PC, then 2-3 layers of SG/BF and maybe a topper of souveren for the SGd cars. I also do the trim and tires and windows while i`m waiting for the SG/BF to cure... takes me about 4-5 hours per car. Is $60 good for that, or should i be looking for more. One guy yesterday was so happy he gave me $120... and didn`t seem to mind doing so at all (it was his choice for that much not mine).

caddyman
04-28-2002, 09:29 PM
I charge 80 for full exterior detail and 120-140 for interior and exterior full detail, more for large suvs, vans , and Exotics, respectively.

Alex

TonyTahoe
04-29-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Dr. Jones [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>NYD when you charge $50 for a wash and wax how many man hours does that take? The job i`m doing now includes washing, claying (if needed), a pass with the PC and FI-II (or SMR if it`s not as bad), a pass with Klasse AIO or BF Polish with the PC, then 2-3 layers of SG/BF and maybe a topper of souveren for the SGd cars. I also do the trim and tires and windows while i`m waiting for the SG/BF to cure... takes me about 4-5 hours per car. Is $60 good for that, or should i be looking for more. One guy yesterday was so happy he gave me $120... and didn`t seem to mind doing so at all (it was his choice for that much not mine). [/b]</blockquote>
MORE! Actually, for the clay and all, I would say $120 is more than reasonable. Do some internet shopping for detailing prices (www.google.com search for "detail auto prices interior exterior wax") You will find some guidelines of prices and package types. But also check to see what pricing is in the area.

Detailing NY
04-29-2002, 03:39 PM
when doing a wash and wax, i inform the customer i am not completing a full detail, it is just your basic wash, and wax with PC

it takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, sometimes less depending in the car. If some one wants the car clayed, it cost more as that is more time i have to spend on the car. I book my appointment so when the customer comes and changes his/her mind it does make it hard for me as i have other customers coming in. But i try to please everyone.

For everything that you do i would charge more, depending on what the area price goes for, but then again you are using good stuff.

here is my price list:

wash & dress tires only- $15.00

wash, wax & dress tires - $50.00

wash, polish, wax & dress tires - $75.00

wash, clay, polish, wax & dress tires - $100.00 & up

If the customer wants the interior detailed as well it adds anywhere from $50.00 - $75.00 per detail

Normal when someone comes to me for a complete detail i charge them $125.00 per small $ mid size car, $150.00 large cars

small trucks start at $150.00 large trucks are by appointment and i must see the vehicle before i give a price quote as i dont want to under chrage my self. Most of the times vehicles like the expeditions go for 200.00 complete detail.

then you get into boats which start a new ball game.

If you are going to need supplies, let me know. maybe i can hook you up with my distributer. he got great products, use them on every car.

hope this helped!

NYD

gtivrx
05-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Now how much extra would you charge if the customer brought you a silver car and wanted a zaino treatment on it?

We will use ZFX too.

Detailing NY
05-02-2002, 05:20 PM
Not sure what i could charge as i do not use Zaino.

now that i said that i am sure some poeple on autopia want to kill me!

You need to figure out how much labor it is and what it cost you in supplies. I would think around the same price give or take some money

NYD

JasonC8301
05-02-2002, 05:35 PM
I got the Zaino waiting for you and the 600 grams of clay magic will be here tomorrow.

Just gotta find a day to work on the accord, basic wash, clay, then dawn (didn`t see any swirls), and then 3 coats of Zaino with ZFX. Estimated time, 2 hours on the exterior.

Jason