PDA

View Full Version : Lookin` for Tire Protection

NI4NI
04-25-2002, 07:56 PM
I`m getting ready to drop ~$500 on some new truck tires (Michelin Cross Terrain SUV), and have been told that most tire dressing products on the market reduce tire life expectancy by drying out the rubber compounds. I usually use Westley`s Whitewall/Blackwall cleaner, and then top off (twice a year) with Meguiar`s Endurance Tire Gel (hmmm nice Grape smell). Does anyone have info on tire cleaning and dressing products that actually protect a tire`s finish from UV light and grime without drying out the rubber? I`d prefer protection without the high gloss look (that`s why I use the Westley cleaner monthly). TIA. :wavey

JasonC8301
04-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Yikes, Westley`s white wall cleaner, leave that somwhere far away from your tires unless you want them destroyed as well as your wheels. Too many warnings on the back of the bottle.

If you like factory tires, well maybe a little sheen, try cleaning them bi-weekly with EF Hi-Intensity diluted 50/50, or Eagle One Tire cleaner. Follow up with 303 dressing/Vinylex/Eagle One concours dressing.

You need to apply dressings more often, whenever the tire looses the fresh look, or whenever you clean them.

Brad B
04-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Avoid tire dressings with silicones as silicone dressings rarely provide UV protection, the main cause of damage to tires. Also, avoid silicones that have cleaners in them because cleaners have solvents in them that cause the tires to dry and crack. Use a water based dressing or one without a high amount of harmful silicones additives.

Try Jason`s suggestions or use Zaino Tire dressing, another excellent choice. Very long lasting and can achieve a shinier finish you seem to like. I use it.:xyxthumbs

RedVR6
04-27-2002, 11:36 AM
If I may chime in...Give Griot`s Rubber and Vinyl Dressing a look at too. Contains no silicones or garbage Brad mentioned and provides UV protection. It applies to the tires easily and leaves a nice satin finish to the rubber.

I used the Meguiars Endurance for one season and was not overly happy with the residue. Looked nice, but when washing the tires the stuff used to gunk up my brushes.

imported_BretFraz
04-27-2002, 11:44 AM
I highly recommend cleaning your tires every time you wash the truck. They pick up an amazing amount of dirt and crud and this stuff along with ozone and UV rays are what turns tires grey and dry them out.

Eagle One`s Tire Cleaner is fabulous and safe for weekly cleanings. EFHI diluted is also excellent. Use a stiff nylon brush and scrub away.

Water based tire protectants are better for the rubber than oil based. 303, Vinylex, and Eagle One Satin Finish Tire Shine are like this as well as a few others like Pinnacle Rubber & Vinyl Protectant. Each leaves a slightly different gloss but all will protect the rubber from ozone and UV while allowing it to bloom.

Those C/T`s are terrific tires. I`m sure you`ll love them.

JasonC8301
04-27-2002, 09:26 PM
While on the topic of tires, I went to the body shop store today with NY detailer and I saw a bottle of mother`s tire/rubber cleaner. Is this product new? forrest?

How does it perform?

Thanks

Jason