PDA

View Full Version : What do dealerships put on your tires?

Hyperion
04-25-2002, 01:40 AM
What chemical is it that they use?

It seems to last very long, and has a good shine and also not be wet or a gel. It is almos tlike they spray them with a silicone that drys on.

I am currently using Meguiars Endurance (which is doing a good job, absolutly no complaints tires look like the day I bought them), but I have always just wondered what the dealers spray on the tires.

Also I have seen people using Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper on their tires because I believe it was the acid in the cola makes the rubber shine, anyone hear of this before?

DETAILKING
04-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Similar to what can be found here.....check out the tire
dressings...

http://www.topoftheline.com/hitempproducts.html (`http://www.topoftheline.com/hitempproducts.html`)

Usually a solvent base and high silicone oil content............

truvette
04-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Stealership, *ahem*...I mean dealership tire dressings are usually nasty stuff for your tires. As DK mentioned, they are high in solvents and silicone, something you want to keep away from your tires. Your best bet is to go with a tire dressing widely mentioned as this board such as 303, Vinylex, Eagle One, Zaino, etc.

subymamma
04-25-2002, 09:59 AM
I also like the Endurance very much. High shine, and stays on all week! Looks good on tires with black cars. ;)

imported_BretFraz
04-25-2002, 10:00 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Hyperion [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> Also I have seen people using Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper on their tires because I believe it was the acid in the cola makes the rubber shine, anyone hear of this before? [/b]</blockquote>That`s a new one on me. I`m struggling with the concepts of "acid" and "rubber" in terms of making tires look good. Perhaps you could ask those people what they feel the benefits are.

But if Coke and Dr. P leave a coating that looks good on tires, imagine the coating they leave on your stomach lining :shocked

Lemonxxs
04-25-2002, 10:05 AM
I would think the tires would be sticky from COKE and then attract dust like crazy.....Imagine all the neighborhood dogs licking your tires.

laynlow
04-25-2002, 10:14 AM
I know at some car shows of old, before all of these various mass-marketed products were avaliable, some people used standard 30wt. motor oil. You could actually see it pool in the tread near the sidewall.

BradE
04-25-2002, 11:44 AM
I would doubt it`s any acids leaving a coating on tires. My guess would be the crystalization of the sugar found in the drinks would leave the coating, Coke and Dr. P are loaded with sugar.

Like Bret, I have never heard of this before.

Hyperion
04-25-2002, 12:13 PM
That bit of information did come from an old timer, but it has been on my mind for a while just trying to see if anyone else knew about this...

rstype
04-25-2002, 10:16 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Imagine all the neighborhood dogs licking your tires. [/b]</blockquote>
That reminds me of when I used some peanut butter to clean off wax residue. It worked great... but the next day I saw ants.

AHHH!!!
:scared

BumpersPlus2
04-25-2002, 10:31 PM
Ive heard of old timers using baby oil, mop n glo, and motor oil too.