PDA

View Full Version : MF towels - how long do they last ?

Pages : [1] 2

amgtorre
04-24-2002, 09:55 PM
The ones I got a couple of months ago are loosing their plushness and I think their water absorbing capability.

After using them I wash them by hand with Dawn , wringe and air dry them ... probably twice a week ...

I might try machine dawn wash and dryer (low heat) ...

I`ll buy some more anyway except that I want them to last like new longer than 2 months.

Any suggestions to make them last longer will be appreciated.

TIA!!

Redcar GUY
04-24-2002, 09:58 PM
What brand where they>?:nixweiss

Lemonxxs
04-24-2002, 10:11 PM
HEck my have pretty much stayed the same except for wear and tear by me....I machine wash and dry them as well.

Maybe you have a inferior batch???

YoSteve
04-24-2002, 11:30 PM
did you use them to remove the blitz

it may be better to separate the carnauba removing towels (or the ones that buff off carnauba infused QD) from the ones used for drying and windows

mf`s last a very long time

Definately use them to remove Klasse :)

PakShak
04-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Hello amgtorre,

With time, mf towels do loose their plushness and effectiveness. But in your case it seems to be premature wearing. Instead of using dawn, maybe using a more mild laundry detergent like Tide will be suited in your case. Dawn does have a high alkaline content which could be accelerating the wear on the fibers on your mf towel. How many mf towels do you have? Are you using the same mf towel to do multi-tasks cleaning. For example, using the same towel to wash your car, wipe down your car, removing wax/polish, cleaning your windows. I would also recommend, washing your mf towels as soon as you used them so any chemical, wax, or polish does not stay clogged in between the fibers for long periods of time. That could contribute to wearing. Try washing them in hot water. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Ranney

bobdec
04-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Tia,

I`ve had some mf towels for several years that are still in reasonably good shape. I`ve also tried some that practically fell apart after just a few washings. It`s been my experience that the ones that didn`t last also were the ones that didn`t work well even when they were all in one piece.

Below is an email I received from neatitems when I asked them about durability last year. These are the washing test results that they received from the factory in Korea. Don`t ask me what "peach skin" is. Based on these results and you washing them twice a week, you should get more than a year`s worth of use out of your towels.

I personally wash all of my mf towels with just ordinary laundry detergent. I also put them in the dryer at low heat. While this does add some static to the towels, it also seems to fluff them up more than air drying.

WASHING TEST

ITEM : WS-P2

TEST CONDITIONS : 90°C WASHING & 2 HOURS

WASHING TIME CONDITIONS OF SURFACE ON CLOTH

25 TIMES NO PROBLEM

50 TIMES NO PROBLEM

100 TIMES COLOR SOME FADED & LINT ON STITCHING EDGE

150 TIMES THICKNESS OF CLOTH GETTING THINNER & PEACH SKIN

SOME WORN

200 TIMES COLOR MORE FADED &

PEACH SKIN CONTINOUSLY WORN

250 TIMES WEIGHT REDUSED

400 TIMES PEACH SKIN ALL WORN & WEIGHT MUCH REDUSED

**SHRINKAGE(90°C WASHING) : WEFT –UNDER 5%

WARP –UNDER 5%

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 10:08 AM
I`ve gotton well over a year of use out of most of mine. Like someone mentioned above I keep stacks for each type of use.

And will now follow the tip to wash right away instead of every other week.

The Nicsand ones I bought long ago didn`t last at all, but the higer quality ones have been real good.

amgtorre
04-25-2002, 12:34 PM
All right! some good tips here, Thanks!

Some things I need to correct:

Yes I removed Blitz with the good YS MFs ...

Also used them for multiple tasks

And will try the drying machine

I wash them after using them, I will now have separate batches for separate tasks ...

Got 9 towels.

3 YS

5 microfiber.org which I got but have not used for the car ...

2 Euro shine (yellow they look and feel like the YS ones when new) this came from klassedirect.

Thanks again

Armando

pingiii
04-25-2002, 03:09 PM
Did I read where someone had tossed in a 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar to break down the wax in their MF towels? I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that a while ago.

Anyone remember that????

PakShak, I dropped you samples in the mail today. Enjoy!

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Pretty sure it was either Don or Ron K and whoever it was they had been doing it for quite a while. We use vinegar in our washer for clothes a lot. One of those passed down from Mom tips.

MicroRacer
04-25-2002, 04:20 PM
When removing polish or wax, how many MF towels do you usualy use?

Just curious.:D

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 04:23 PM
This may sound totally anal retentive but I use a towel for each panel. So 11 for my TBird (2 front quarters, 1 hood, 2 doors, 1 roof, 2 rear quarters, 1 trunk lid, 1 front bumper, 1 rear bumper). Even more on the SUV`s. Then add a few for glass.

MicroRacer
04-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Hey, T-BIRD

I thought someone may say that. Of course you have your wax micro fibers and your polish micro fibers....right?

And alot of washing machine time set aside????:D

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Have the wax removal MF`s and the final buff MF. I always apply with foam pads. There are some MF covered foam pads for application. I`m still partial to the foam pads though for applying just about anything. I get the Meguiar`s pads in bulk for about .25 each and toss them after each use. I just let my clothes get all grubby to save time for washing the towels.

amgtorre
04-25-2002, 08:43 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by X-MAN [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>When removing polish or wax, how many MF towels do you usualy use?
Just curious.:D [/b]</blockquote>hmm... usually two ... one pass, then second pass, if the first one starts acting funny I`ll grab a third one and stop using the first one ...