PDA

View Full Version : Plastic headlight lenses

imported_Eric
04-24-2002, 07:59 PM
Used the Meguiars Plastic cleaner followed by the Polish which is supposed to protect the plastic. Question: Can I apply a wax over top to give some added protection? I generally use #26 and Collinite Fleetwax. There was a previous thread on headlights, but it didn`t cover this issue. Thanks

BradE
04-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Yes you can apply wax over it for added protection. But beware, wax on clear glass or plastic may give it a yellow tint.

mp5_toronto
04-24-2002, 09:36 PM
How well did the M Plastic cleaner work for you? I`ve got some ground in crud on my P5`s headlights, and regular car wash just isn`t doing it. I may try some EF HI, but I`d like to go with something that is a little more paint-friendly (i.e. less powerful) if possible.

jsalemi
04-24-2002, 09:55 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by adc100 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Used the Meguiars Plastic cleaner followed by the Polish which is supposed to protect the plastic. Question: Can I apply a wax over top to give some added protection? I generally use #26 and Collinite Fleetwax. There was a previous thread on headlights, but it didn`t cover this issue. Thanks [/b]</blockquote>
Better than waxing the lenses, get yourself a can of Plexus. It adds a nice protective coat to plastic, and won`t yellow the lenses over time.

imported_Eric
04-25-2002, 06:54 AM
guys, I appreciate it.

mp5_toronto: The stuff worked well. The 17 Cleaner removes the scratches and other junk (caked on bugs, etc) the #10 Clear Polish then is supposed to restore to optical clarity. I really don`t know if its the best product out there. But I had it for my plastic eyeglalsslels. Headlights look really good now. The #10 used only by itself is useless.

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 08:57 AM
3M makes two very effective plastic products. A cleaner 39017 and a polish 39010. The cleaner is a little more aggressive but the polish has always worked well for me. Can be used by hand or machine. I restored my TBirds headlights after 15 years of hazing, scratching and yellowing.

I always put a polymer on them and clean them with a QD. An optically clear product like Zaino would make the most sense for headlights IMO.

imported_StyleTEG
04-25-2002, 02:59 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by TBird [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>3M makes two very effective plastic products. A cleaner 39017 and a polish 39010.[/b]</blockquote>
I really like those products as well. I have gotten great results using 3M plastic polish with my mini dremel and a polishing pad. :xyxthumbs

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Makes me feel good that I`m not the only one who uses a Dremel for auto detailing. I just imagine my neighbors peeking into my garage and thinking "Is that idiot going to do the whole car with that little thing":mad: Works sweet on lens covers and intricate rims. Also nice on stainles exhaust tips.

vettefan67
04-25-2002, 03:37 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by TBird [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Makes me feel good that I`m not the only one who uses a Dremel for auto detailing.[/b]</blockquote>I`ve been considering purchasing one for detailing . . . we`re all sick. :D

TiCoup
04-25-2002, 03:44 PM
Sick is when a guy starts using his detailing supplies in the house. We use Protect All Carnuba Spray Wax on all our countertops (love watching those damn cats slide all over), Nu-Finish in the shower surrounds (catch a nice buzz off the fumes too), blitz on our wood furniture (Ron K. tought me most mass marketed wood furniture has a clear coat similar to cars), the Cali Water Blade on the showers every day to keep the hard water from showing up, the Absorber for darn near everything, the shop vac for the litter boxes, polymer sealants on the windows inside and out and the Cali Car/Dash duster on everything that collects dust. But its one way to justify buying more stuff:up