PDA

View Full Version : How spare is sparingly?

Keith718
04-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Many polishes advise to use sparingly. The instructions on Omega Glaze, for instance, say `Use sparingly, a little goes a long way.` So I put a little on to a cloth pad, and the first one or two strokes go on easily as the polish is still wet. Then for the next few strokes the polish semi-dries, and it`s much harder to apply. I seem to be rubbing almost dry OG onto the paint. The (unbuffed) finish is best described as looking mottled. It seems to buff out OK. Is this what`s supposed to happen or should I be using more OG and keping the pad wet? This is on a cool UK day with a well loaded pad.

Regards, Kes.

Brad B
04-23-2002, 04:49 PM
Don`t rub dry. Just don`t leave excess on to where it leaves obvious ridges of buildup leftover on the paint surface.

rd_volvo
04-23-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Kez,

I learned the hard way. Blitz and OGlaze don`t react well

with water. When I called OG they told me yup, don`t mix

OG waxes and glazes with water. Just use the yellow sponge

type applicators.

Terry applicators are nice but I found they dry too fast.

See if you can find the sponge type applicators near you.

Keith718
04-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks RD. By wet I mean wet with OG, not with water.

I find that most products lose their wetness after the first couple of wipes, so I either have to apply more polish (an excessive amount) or just rub with the semi-drying polish, which is a different action from the first wet application. Everyone must experience this, or perhaps I`m not explaining it too well!

Do you mean use the foam applicator with OG? I`ll try this tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

porterdog
04-24-2002, 09:06 PM
When I apply Klasse Sealant Glaze I use a microfiber covered foam applicator. I was noticing the same thing you are describing for about the first third of the car. After that I had enough SG built up in the applicator that it didn`t tend to dry out so quickly. Now, I use more SG up front and am careful to get it thorougly distributed across the panel; this helps to load up the applicator while avoiding the trauma of Too Much SG.

My suggestion would be to try a different applicator and maybe use a little more product, especially at the start.

$0.02,

Robert

YoSteve
04-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Robert, I`m glad you said that. That`s exactly what I do when I use SG, I`ve just never decribed it that way before. I`m going to write that one down (well copy and paste it anyways) cool :up

rd_volvo
04-25-2002, 08:09 AM
Yes,

The yellow foam applicators keep the product on the surface.

They don`t soak up too much product.

imported_BretFraz
04-25-2002, 10:07 AM
You`ve got to load an applicator with wax/polish just like you load a paint brush. The fibers or cells in the apps will absorb the product until they are loaded.

I pour some product onto my apps and squeeze the apps several times to load the fibers/cells and evenly distribute the product on the app. After a section or two you`ll find the amount of product needed to resaturate the app is very minimal.

The same goes for buffer bonnets and pads. Use a little more product at first, load up the pad, and you`ll be good to go.