PDA

View Full Version : Technique and Materials for Applying Polish / Glaze / Wax??

ChicagoRay
04-22-2002, 08:52 AM
What should I use to apply polish? Glaze? Wax?

I have heard bad things about terry cloth towels - that is what I had used, what is bad about them and what should I use instead?

I am also tossing around the idea of using a porter cable - I`ll have to buy one and the pads for it so any suggestions would be appreciated..... Or is that a bad thing for a novice to use?

Also is it better to apply these things in a circular fashion or in straight lines (either up & down or side-side)?

If you have any links to a place where I can get this stuff online and or specific part numbers, be much appreciated!

:bow: :xyxthumbs

Lemonxxs
04-22-2002, 09:49 AM
I pretty much prefer Foam applicators for most products.

Or I will use some terry cloth applicators.

I go in directions as the wind flows on the truck.

As for links check out the forum sponsor CMA at www.properautocare.com

ChicagoRay
04-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Ok... So you go side to side you mean?

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a specific applicator/technique, I`m kind of new at this :nixweiss:

Lemonxxs
04-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Read the Zaino Website. There are tips on how to apply his products but it will work for any product.

Also you may want to invest in the E-book the Owner of this forum has written which has great information.

Again I apply products in the direction wind flows over the truck when driving...Ie Front to Back.

vettefan67
04-22-2002, 01:19 PM
The reason for washing/polishing/applying products in a certain direction is because of the way light acts in swirls / scratches. They are most visible when you are viewing the swirl at a 90 degree angle i.e. if you are looking at the front of your car you would see the ones that go side to side across the hood.

However, on the sides of the car you are usually looking at it from directly beside it, right? That means on the side you should probably use a vertical motion when working on the paint. Always work in the direction of your nose when looking at the car normally!

But the key is <strong class=`bbc`>Be Consistent![/b] You only want to have marring in one direction so that it will only be noticed from certain angles.

ChicagoRay
04-22-2002, 01:52 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The reason for washing/polishing/applying products in a certain direction is because of the way light acts in swirls / scratches. They are most visible when you are viewing the swirl at a 90 degree angle i.e. if you are looking at the front of your car you would see the ones that go side to side across the hood.

However, on the sides of the car you are usually looking at it from directly beside it, right? That means on the side you should probably use a vertical motion when working on the paint. Always work in the direction of your nose when looking at the car normally!

But the key is <strong class=`bbc`>Be Consistent![/b] You only want to have marring in one direction so that it will only be noticed from certain angles. [/b]</blockquote>
I thought polishing got RID of swirls and scratches??

vettefan67
04-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Hi trkmedic69,

Yes, polishing removes scratches. However it does so by putting in progressively finer and finer sratches until, ideally, you cannot see them at all. But if you do it incorrectly you can be left with hazing, which is the result of the polish not breaking down enough to make smaller "scratches."

We can`t prevent all swirls from occuring so most are consistant in the manner they touch their car, no matter what they are doing. This makes the ones that do unfortunately get created less noticeable.

Hope that helped clear things up! :)

Lemonxxs
04-22-2002, 02:04 PM
I know putey but I prefer to go as the wind since on the side of my truck the up and down distance is not very much due to the cladding. Plus I like living on the edge!!!

No swirls yet and I plan on keeping it that way but alas they are hard to see in the Light Pewter metallic color I have.