PDA

View Full Version : Need help with surface scratches

planemech2
04-20-2002, 11:30 AM
I had what I thought was a stubborn bird blob on the door of my 2000 Island Blue F-150. I used the brush at the DIY carwash pretty vigorously to no avail, and then discovered what I had was an old piece of chewing gum stuck to the door. I took the truck home and used lighter fluid to remove the gum, which worked beautifully, except now I have a spot on the door where I used the car wash brush. It appears to be just surface scratches, but I don`t know what to use to get it back like the rest of the door. I don`t want to have to take it to a pro detailer if I can do it myself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

imported_Intel486
04-20-2002, 11:55 AM
They are probably pretty fine scratches. Can you fell them with your fingernail?

I would try a simple polish or even a cleaner wax. Meguiars #9 is an excellent polish. Just use a foam pad and work on the area in back and forth motions (i.e. not little circles). After you polish, then you`ll have to follow up with a wax for protection.

For a cleaner wax Meguiars #6 or 3m One Step Cleaner Wax. Just work the area the same way as you would a polish. Only difference is it`ll leave a thin layer of wax on your truck.

planemech2
04-20-2002, 05:12 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intel486 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>They are probably pretty fine scratches. Can you fell them with your fingernail?

I would try a simple polish or even a cleaner wax. Meguiars #9 is an excellent polish. Just use a foam pad and work on the area in back and forth motions (i.e. not little circles). After you polish, then you`ll have to follow up with a wax for protection.

For a cleaner wax Meguiars #6 or 3m One Step Cleaner Wax. Just work the area the same way as you would a polish. Only difference is it`ll leave a thin layer of wax on your truck. [/b]</blockquote>
No, I can`t feel them it just looks really dull there in comparison to the rest of the truck. I don`t have a lot of time in the day to do this so which product will be the quickest to use? Sounds like maybe the #6 or 3M? Thanks for the info. and product suggestions!