PDA

View Full Version : Hi all! Cross posting my scratch-fix

edgewise
04-19-2002, 09:46 AM
http://www.beemerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5384 (`http://www.beemerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5384`)

Pretty basic stuff for you vets! For newbies (like myself doing this on my own for the first time..good reading!) I used to just fill the scratch and leave it at that, now that I have a BMW, I`m picky! ;)

Enjoy!

KSCobra46
04-19-2002, 10:19 AM
WOW! I am impressed it looks great, good job and good process.

edgewise
04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Thks KC Cobra! (Heh, came >< close to buying an 2001 SVT Cobra! Ahh, well, another mid-life crisis some day for me I`m sure! hehe!)

My wifes SUV was keyed from stem to stern 2 years ago, I filled the scratch with OEM paint but it turned out aweful, going to try to sand it down and do it again the right way this week end. Wish me luck!

2wheelsx2
04-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Hmmm...so the idea is to put the touch up paint on, but not wait for it to cure? How long do you wait before the sanding? Just until the paint is dry to the touch?

edgewise
04-19-2002, 10:56 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by 2wheelsx2 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Hmmm...so the idea is to put the touch up paint on, but not wait for it to cure? How long do you wait before the sanding? Just until the paint is dry to the touch? [/b]</blockquote>
Ah, sorry for the confusion on that part, I had applied 3 coats (allowing 30 min. in between coats to dry) then about 3 days later I did what you read. Gotta let it dry ;)

Lemonxxs
04-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Welcome back RIPSNORT.

edgewise
04-19-2002, 01:25 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Welcome back RIPSNORT. [/b]</blockquote>
Thks GMN! I`ve been lurking but don`t have much to post, there are so many here with excellent advice that most of you already reply to new guys coming online, so I just sit back and read nowadays, occasionally trying out something new and posting results such as the leader in this thread. Take care, my friend!
Ripsnort

imported_capspackle
04-19-2002, 01:29 PM
Lemme see if i understand your procedure correctly..

1) you applied touchup paint over the entire long scractch..

2) waited 3 days for it to dry and cure and crap.

3) Procedure on website?

Lemonxxs
04-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Ripsnort

Lurk more and post more. There are poeple who could benefit from your advice.

Still glad you are back!

MidLife Cruiser
04-19-2002, 01:44 PM
:bow

edgewise
04-19-2002, 01:47 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by PathfinderGuy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Lemme see if i understand your procedure correctly..

1) you applied touchup paint over the entire long scractch..
2) waited 3 days for it to dry and cure and crap.
3) Procedure on website? [/b]</blockquote>
Yessir, though I doubt you`d need to wait 3 days, the paint dries rather fast...as mentioned, hold off on<em class=`bbc`> waxing[/i] it for about 30 days, the Griots polish contains no wax. (Note: I experimenting without clear coat on this scratch due to the narrowness of it, I was afraid of getting the clear coat on too thick, I might experiment applying some clear coat with another toothpick and a magnifying glass this week end)

Thanks again for the compliments GMN, all! I`m <em class=`bbc`>always[/i] open for critiscism too, add your 2 cents!

imported_capspackle
04-19-2002, 05:23 PM
What can be used as substitute to Griots Machine Polish? FI-II? SMR? Rubbing Compound?