PDA

View Full Version : Question about PPCL & P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

imported_Intermezzo
04-18-2002, 03:21 PM
These two products are combination polishes and cleaners, right? That is, not only do they provide mild cleaning properties, they also provide your paint with a shiny wet look and leave a nice smooth substrate for your carnuaba wax.

My understanding of the interplay between a wax and a polish is that the polish is what provides the wetness and depth on a car`s shine and the wax is just there to provide protection and help seal in the polish.

That being said, does the wetness and shine that PPCL and P21S GEPC provide equal the kind of shine that products like 3M IHG and Meguiar`s #7 provide? In other words, after I use P21S GEPC on my black car, will the so called "wetness & depth" on my car improve significantly by adding a layer of glaze? Or should I just use one or the other? I was planning on using the Cleansing lotion 2-3 times a year right before waxing and using the glazes for the rest of the times I wax my car.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tony

BradE
04-18-2002, 03:36 PM
Hey Tony,

Even the so-called "paint cleaners" have a fairly good amount of oils in them which is how they claim gloss enhancing. Realistically they is not much "bite" to these products in terms of abrasiveness and most of the gloss they create is obtained through oils in the product.

If you put a layer of IHG or Meg #7 over the cleaners and then waxed you would probably be able to tell some difference depending on how much oils were in the "cleansing" product. It probably would not be a substancial difference, but there would probably be some minute change in the looks. :up

FastHappy
04-18-2002, 06:50 PM
i agree with sl. they do provide some additional gloss but not nearly as deep as a glaze does. it is my finding that the p21s gepc has a little better shine than ppcl. the cleaners most likely have a higher solvent content due to their cleaning abilities than the glazes do and less oils.

i think it sounds like you have a good plan, the cleaners will do a good job at removing old wax and make for a good base for a glaze and a wax. it will add some shine to your paint also.

i think i`m going to just go the glaze and wax route this summer instead of using a sealant. i have omega glaze and souveran on my truck now and looks pretty darn good. doesn`t last as long but hey, i`m always waxing on my cars so i don`t really care about that. so many waxes and so few cars:o

imported_Intermezzo
04-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Showroom and Snake, thanks very much for your answers!

imported_Intermezzo
04-19-2002, 11:41 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by snake [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>i think i`m going to just go the glaze and wax route this summer instead of using a sealant. i have omega glaze and souveran on my truck now and looks pretty darn good. doesn`t last as long but hey, i`m always waxing on my cars so i don`t really care about that. so many waxes and so few cars:o [/b]</blockquote>
Snake, I`d be interested in hearing how that goes. I`ll check in with you every once in a while. After trying souveran on my black bimmer, I`ve become convinced that carnauba is an excellent choice on a color like black. I plan to use Meguiar`s Hand Polish (BSP line) as my glaze base and alternate between Meguiar`s #26, Blitz & P21S.

ernie
04-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Intermezzo: I`d also be interested in hearing how your plan goes.

After spending way too many hours scanning old posts, I decided on a similar (initial) route for my 2002 black F150 Lariat.........P21S GEPC, Meguiars Hand Polish, and a carnuba (P21S to start). Parts on order. Be interesting to see how it holds up in the Texas summer. Was going to go the Klasse route initially, and I think I`ll try a bit of it in the bed for a comparison (and my wife`s blue Mustang will also get Klasse`d).

Thanks for the timely thread!

ernie

imported_Intermezzo
04-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Ernie,

Hey, no problem! Glad to be of help.

I actually plan to use Klasse SG on a few areas like the lower parts of my bumper, underneath the front grill, and a few other areas that I hate waxing frequently and aren`t all that visible. Other than that, it`s oil & carnauba county for me!

ernie
04-19-2002, 03:55 PM
That`s not a bad idea. I`ve got chrome, black-paint and clear-coated plastic, and plain-old gray plastic (lower portion of the bumper....but I was going to use 303 or something similar for this portion) as part of the "bumper". If I recall correctly, I can use SG on the chrome portion, but should AIO be used first on chrome?

Thanks

ernie

PS This question probably belongs on the University board, but we were on the subject.

Steve @ Guru
04-19-2002, 03:58 PM
From my tests on the P21S GEPC, it appears to be very light on the cleaners/abrasives, and pretty heavy on the oils/gloss enhancers (hence the name).

I used to be a loyal #7 user, but after I found the GEPC I gave up on the #7. #7 was simply too much of a pain to use, and when tested side-by-side with the GEPC/P21S Wax combo, I couldn`t tell any difference, and in fact, I liked the P21S look better...

Ernie, not sure how long the p21s will hold-up under the Texas sun, but it sure does look great sitting under the sun - bring your sunglasses... :cool:

imported_Intermezzo
04-19-2002, 04:25 PM
GeekySteve,

Thanks for that bit of info! Also, thanks for the info you sent via PMs.

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ernie [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>If I recall correctly, I can use SG on the chrome portion, but should AIO be used first on chrome?
[/b]</blockquote>
Ernie,

I`m not too familiar with the F-150 Lariat, but AIO can be used as long as it`s real chrome and not the pastic chrome a lot of today`s cars are using (like the double kidney shaped grill on my wife`s bimmer).

Link (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6879`)
Link (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9213`)

BradE
04-19-2002, 04:28 PM
AIO and SG work great on chrome, I have it on my factory chrome Lincoln rims. :up

You can use SG on the "fake" plastic chrome since it`s non-abrasive.

ernie
04-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. AFAIK, it`s real chrome, but I`ll double check to be sure. Now you`ve got me wondering about the black plastic trim that sits on the upper (horizontal) portion of the bumper........sure looks painted, and I assumed it was clear-coated (I assumed similar things about the black plastic trim pieces on the wheel wells). Guess I`ll have to be careful on this one and try some AIO in an inconspicuous place should I decide to try it prior to SG.

OT, but this is one of the friendliest, most helpful boards I`ve ever had the pleasure to join.

Thanks again

ernie

FastHappy
04-19-2002, 10:02 PM
intermezzo, feel free to give me a shout anytime and i`ll let you know how things are going with the ogog and carnuba du jour. i really like the look and longevity just isn`t an issue with me.

i also use a sealant on the bottom panels so i don`t have to apply a wax to it everytime i detail. glad i`m not the only one doing that, i felt like i was cheating ;)

i`m going to give my explorer the ogog and wax detail this weekend, i`ll get some shots and post them after.