PDA

View Full Version : Polishing my windsheild

imported_StyleTEG
04-18-2002, 10:18 AM
My windshield has been pretty weathered since the day I bought my car. The main problem I have had with it, is compared to many other cars I have been in it looks very foggy regardless if its cleanlyness.

I have a bottle of AutoGLYM glass polish, but before I wanted to use a strong polish and the PC, I figured it would be a good idea to start small and see the results of a low abrasive hand polishing.

I finally decided to use Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0 for the polish. I really didn`t want to use a product that had filler content, but out of all the polishes I have, Meguiars was the only one at the abrasive level I wanted.

(pictures are kinda big, sorry!)
http://stylesdetails.netfirms.com/misc/before_polish.jpg

This is the windshield before the polishing. Its hard to capture the exact problem, but if you look closely its kinda hazy and there are contaminants that I haven’t been able to remove by normal washing

I polished the windshield like you would paint, back and forth motions, two passes per section. After I was done with a section, I wiped it down with a damp towel and dawn to remove any filler oils.

http://stylesdetails.netfirms.com/misc/after_polish.jpg
Hard to capture the results with the bright sun and reflection, but pay attention to the difference in the cabin clarity of each picture.

I was quite happy with the result. It didn`t remove all of the contaminants (time for some clay hehe), but it did a good job cleaning what soap and water couldn`t. It removed alot of the haze. I stopped half way to look inside and see the difference between the polished and unpolished areas, and it was quite visible. In fact there was a line where the hazed glass stopped and the clear glass began.

Next time I am defiantly going to move up to a light buffing with the PC and AutoGLYM, the Meguiars 2.0 did a good job but it didn`t seam quite strong enough to remove all of the light scratches.

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2002, 10:35 AM
I can see a big difference, the glass looks really crisp since you used the polish. Hopefully your not tricking me with a new picture from a different location.

Try claying the windsheild, if you have specks in your windsheild that is why it still looks dirty, there is dirt trapped in them. The clay will pull it out.

imported_StyleTEG
04-18-2002, 12:52 PM
Clay definatly looks like the next step. My plan is

Wash

Clay

Wash

AutoGLYM Polish with PC

Wash

RainX

If it turns out looking good, I will move on to the rest of my windows.

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2002, 12:54 PM
That windsheild should be looking pretty darn nice after that. If all of that doesn`t satisfy you I don`t know what to say :) The Rain-X would probaly be a good idea if you have road chips in the glass. I would rather fill them with a clear product that protect than just wait for the first rain fall to fill them up with more crud. The clay worked awesome for me but once a little dust get`s back in the chips it`s back to where you started. Really really annoying.

Lowejackson
04-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Great work, I would do everything apart from the RainX. Autoglym is a really good glass cleaner but I would use clay first.

Steven

BradE
04-18-2002, 03:08 PM
The clay really helps reduce wiper chatter as well.:up

JonB
04-18-2002, 04:17 PM
SRL...have you clayed over Aquapel? I haven`t had any need to, but was wondering if that would remove it.

H

Lemonxxs
04-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Bigboyhf

I clayed before applying the Aquapel.

I figure after it wears off I will clay again and repeat application process. I never thought to clay in between applications as it remains pretty clean and dead bug skeletons come off pretty easy with a wash or wet MF.

I doubt the claying would remove all of it if any since it bonds to the glass so well and the lube for the clay will let it float a bit.

BradE
04-18-2002, 05:02 PM
bigboyhf,

No I have not clayed over the AquaPel. The clay would probably partially remove the AquaPel, probably not all of it but most of it.