PDA

View Full Version : how do these mobile detailers do it?

RCK
04-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I mean come to your work, wash your car and wax it??? Maybe even detail the engine and interior. Where do they get the water? How about electricity? What if it`s in a sunny parking lot or next to a dusty busy road? Am I missing something here or what?

Thanks,

Joe

We're Here
04-18-2002, 02:56 AM
Typically a professional will carry a water tank, a generator and even an aluminum framed tent cover type thing to provide shade. I suppose the startup expenses are still reasonably modest for the sole proprietor but they`re certainly a level or two higher than a tin of wax and a rag in the hip pocket sort of thing

Turbonator
04-18-2002, 07:44 AM
cruzmisl, i do that! i`ll go anywhere that i can hook up a hose and run an electrical cord. no one`s ever had a problem with it. generally you don`t use that much water or electricity - it`s really just a trade off for the convenience. i detail the engine and interior if the customer wants it. i do both the same way you`d do it at your house. i don`t have a carpet extractor though, too expensive. i do carry a popup tent for some shade in the summertime, but a dusty work area would be a problem. probably have to arrange something else.

imported_Intel486
04-18-2002, 04:41 PM
I`m just starting to do mobile detail. Currently I`m hooking up to people`s water and using their power. I`m saving right now for the a water tank, a tent, and an electric pressure washer (using a gas one right now but it isn`t made to pull water from a tank). I`m searching for a generator that meets my needs right now so I`ll have one soon. Will be soo glad to get it so I can get rid of my huge arse extension cord.

Josiah
04-18-2002, 04:57 PM
I have a 5500 watt generator, but still carry about 200ft of extension cords... one 100ft 12g, and two 50ft 14g, for when I can use customers electricity. Don`t want to be short. :D

Scottwax
04-18-2002, 04:59 PM
I wash cars with Protect All Quick and Easy Wash, so I only need about a gallon of water per car. I have a pretty good 12 volt vacuum (Campbell-Hausen), but prefer to use my big wet/dry vac. Most businesses now have electrical outlets outdoors, so I don`t have to run a cord under the doors. I haven`t been able to find a quiet enough generator that is also small enough to fit in my trunk. I`ve seen one that is suitcase size, so I may look into that.

As far as dust goes, I have my California duster with me and on windy days, I do have to dust after washing and before waxing. Just part of the business.

Detailing NY
04-18-2002, 05:35 PM
I do mobil detailing and detailing from my house. I all i need is a hose and power, if they dont have power i have a converter in my truck.

being mobil really does bring in the business.