PDA

View Full Version : Paint on car. How to remove?

rynoman03
04-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Recently I parked my car (clearcoat finsh) near a building that I was unaware that they were painting. Droplets of paint descended all over the hood of my car. They are as big as water droplets. Now they are hard whitish grey and I have no idea how to remove the paint droplets without damaging the finish and paint on my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

idamanjax75
04-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Take pictures of the car and get an estimate for repainting the damaged hood. You ought to inspect the rest of the car since the "overspray" or whatever is not likely to be limited to your hood. They damaged your car and are responsible for correcting it. Once you determine the extent of the repair cost, confront them with a certified letter. If they don`t pay up, go to small claims court. You`ll win. Probably get a few hundred $ or more.

That having been said, once you document the loss, you can try to remove it with clay. That works for small dots. Bigger stuff might let go with GOOF OFF or other similar product. Use it on a hidden spot on your car first to test to see if it causes major damage to the paint.

Good luck. keep us informed on your progress.

E

BradE
04-17-2002, 02:53 PM
You can document the damage, but chances are a repaint is not needed. A solvent like Mineral Spirits or Denatured Alcohol will soften the large spots of paint and allow them to be removed safely. Put the solvent on the spot, let it dwell for a few minutes and then wipe off. It may take a couple applications but it should get the job done. For other overspray a claybar will work quite well.

Lemonxxs
04-17-2002, 03:26 PM
Try clay as well. It was designed to remove paint overspray during body shop repairs.

Never mind they may be too big.

Try prepsol instead

Detailing NY
04-17-2002, 03:53 PM
i have removed paint from cars with clay and meg`s scratch x with the pc.

the company that droped the paint on your car is liable for the dmg`s. If you did not report it right from the scene, it now becomes your word vs the companys word. hoepfully the company will admitt that they did it and you have no problem, but if not, it will be hard to prove that the company did that to your car.