PDA

View Full Version : newbie.......new car too

HotRod
04-17-2002, 12:20 AM
hi guys i saw this page off of my car club website (DSCR)

i recently purchased a RED Integra GS-R with Black Leather interior and mint alloys.

ok this car was lady driven..........and sadly it was typically carwash abused........there are no major scratches or anything. so i have nothing to really worry about.

but my plan is to strip everything on the body down to the bare paint and start from scratch without putting a big hole in my pocket...............i want the car to be soo shiney that the glare off of my car from the moon at night keeps people on my street awake, or at least as close as i can get to that point :)

from what i have read, you guys know your stuff......... ive heard of clays, polymer stuff, glazes, waxes, polishes........everything.

im thinking of getting meguires cuz i can afford it. can you guys tell me what i can buy from my local auto store........everything i need and how to use them and in what order, almost like the new car starters guide. maybe you guys can throw in some interior and wheel tips too. plus can some one tell em what all these acronyms stand for?:)

thnx alot in advance all us newbies would greatly appreciate it :)

Steve @ Guru
04-17-2002, 01:00 AM
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I can definitely appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to get that moon-light shining like an Alcatraz spot light! Third, I`d really recommend that you get the e-book that Autopia sells. It has a wealth of information, and will answer every one of your questions completely and efficiently.

It`s very simple to read, as David has broken it down into very readable chapters. Or, you could try the "Details, Details, Details" link on the main page, or you could search the forum for Meguiar`s or "newbie". Again, welcome aboard, now it`s time to cut your teeth with a little searching and reading!

HotRod
04-17-2002, 03:36 AM
ok i went through some forums and i think im gonna start with an "off the shelf" job on the car so i can get some experience. For you Canadian Folks I will goto Canadian Tire unless you guys know some better place in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) if so just give me a name and some directions :)

1) Wash the car with Blue Dawn

2) CB the entire car, that wont hurt it, would it?? i just want the

whole car evenly clean.....im thinking of the Mothers CB. plus do i need a cleaning lotion??

3) SMR the entire car.............im not sure what brand i can find tho, can u guys list the top 3 smr`s??

4)glaze with meguiar`s #7........ 2 times, or do i use a hand polish?? can i even get the polish off the shelf??

5)wax with meguiar`s # 27 .......2-3 times leaving an hour between coats

6)I really want the AIO, but is there an alternative to this that i can pick up off the shelf?? or should i skip and goto the next step??

7) finish with Meguire`s # 20, and if i really feal like i have spare time some Carnauba...

this will be a temporary fix till i can get a full klasse hookup :) sometime in the coming months. :0)

if you guys see any problems please correct me, thnx.

imported_BretFraz
04-17-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi Persian- Rice, welcome to Autopia.

Without seeing your car it`s hard to say exactly what steps and products will work. But being a car that`s seen Canadian winters and commercial car washes, I`m gonna say it needs more work than you think it does.

Polishing is the key here. You`re gonna need to work hard to remove all the scratches, swirls, oxidation, and surface contaminents. Whatever protectant you use is almost secondary for now.

Claying is a critical step as it will prep the surface for polishing. You`ve got to do this step to get the best possible results. I hope you`ll invest in the Autopia Guide To Detailing as its an invaluable resource, especially for newbies. It`s worth the $20.

I think you`ll need something like 3M`s Finesse-It II polish (aka FI2) to remove the first layer of scratches and oxidation.

Next step is the Swirl Mark Remover. The two products widely used here are 3M and Meguiar`s #9 2.0. Do a search for both of these as lots has been written.

Skip the #7 glaze. I used to use it 24/7 (as well as 3M Imperial Hand Glaze) but found the SMR`s provide almost the same result.

You can use either #20 or #26 but don`t use both. There`s no point or need. The #20 will last longer and the #26 will offer a nicer shine. Either will work well for you.

There is alot to learn. Start with the Guide and read posts. Experiment with various products and techniques. And have fun. :xyxthumbs