PDA

View Full Version : the wax shop? Auto Value guy swears by it

smfrycruzr
04-16-2002, 08:22 PM
here is a link http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/35/165.htm?543 (`http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/35/165.htm?543`) He says it is the bomb...said he`s tried everything(even Klasse) in the past thirteen years on his truck and he says he`s sticking with this...claimed he has seen a little better shine elsewhere but the ease of use and slickness is the key...anyone ever use it? I figure I might drop $9 on a bottle and give it a whirl, hopefully not swirl LOL

MikeLS
04-16-2002, 09:23 PM
It`s made by Turtle Wax....nuff said...

I`d take Klasse anyday over any TW product!

Steve @ Guru
04-16-2002, 10:04 PM
Tested it. Hated it.

Solventy (smells like Kerosene), harsh, strong cleaner, messy, white haze, stained trim, only lasted about 3 weeks.

smfrycruzr
04-17-2002, 08:20 AM
my gosh, I`m glad i said something before I wasted the loot...I wondered when I saw the Chicago Ill. on the label...thanks guys.

Scottwax
04-17-2002, 08:55 AM
Other than maybe a quick shine for a car show or something (you can wax very fast with it) or for waxing door jams, it really isn`t that great, and like Steve says, durability is really bad. It has kind of a chemical/vanilla scent to it.

Their Safe Cut is a pretty good plastic polish though, and their QD, Slick Stuff is also decent.

imported_BretFraz
04-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Another good product, down the tubes.

The Wax Shoppe used to be a small, family-owned business from Fullerton, CA. I remember them well as they competed locally with Mothers, Meguiars, Eagle One, One Grand and the smaller companies like Harly Wax, Reggie Wax, and Banana Wax.

I used to use Super Glaze alot on single-stage paint jobs, where the owner just wanted a quick buff & wax. It did a great job of removing swirls and light oxidation. Didn`t last too long but it was easy to use. It worked great on my 1990 Mustang with single-stage black paint as long as I used an orbital buffer.

It`s sad to see another great So Cal car care company sell out. Barney Li still takes the cake for selling out to Ashland. I hope Meguiar`s and Mothers still stay strong.

DETAILKING
04-17-2002, 11:14 AM
forrest

Enthusiast Detailer

Wax Shop

The Wax Shop was a performance industry brand which was purchased by Turtle Wax a few years ago, and most of the product line reformulated. Their Super Glaze was renowned for being easy to apply and remove, even in cold weather.

The carrier was xylene, which has such a low flash point (about 32ºF, if memory serves me correct) that it would set up when it was cold enough to snow. you could also drop a match in it and make yourself a fire to keep warm. The downside was the short life, but, since it was so easy to work with, many folks overlooked the longevity.

Formulae are different nowadays, and the product has all but disappeared from the market. I tried to buy the company, but the Turtle folks beat me to it. For what it is (a quick easy to use product), it works well. Many of the 50+ street rodders used it and still swear by the original version.

forrest@mothers
04-17-2002, 01:28 PM
bretfraz - have no fear - we`re not selling.

I`d have to go out and get a REAL job then.

TiCoup
04-24-2002, 12:35 PM
Hey DCopp, I have a bottle of the old formulation (before Turtle Wax purchased it) I had boughten for testing. Good for winter waxing in cold climates and waxing goes fast. So does its durability. Anyway the bottle has been used once and I`d trade it for something if you are interested in trying it out.

Bretfraz, love the Jim A. picture.

pancho1984
04-24-2002, 04:32 PM
I posted a question about this wax in the main forum, regarding its wheel cleaning ability. A guy in another forum claimed that this wax was great for cleaning neglected VW wheels -- lots of dust.

any thoughts?